Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Losing milk supply

Exclamation Losing milk supply

I have been exclusively breastfeeding my 7 week old son and I've been noticing a decrease in my milk supply over the last week. I went for my 6 week check-up last week and he put me back on birth control (Generess FE) which he said was fine for breastfeeding moms. I was able to pump 10 ounces in between feedings up until this week, now i can only pump an ounce. Please help! I start back to work next week and I really don't want to start him on formula.

Default Re: Losing milk supply

dear ajsantonia,
    I understand your concern about being able to leave adequate amounts of expressed breastmilk for your baby while you are at work.
    Here are some suggestions
    calculate how many hours you will be apart from your infant, because many mothers leave the same ounces of breastmilk as hours apart from baby. so if you and your lo will be apart for 6 hours per day, the amount of pumped milk would be 6 ounces left in 2 ounce portions.
    The more times per day you schedule a pumping session the more milk you will produce. so if you pump 3 times a day using a double pump and if you end each pumping sessions with a hand expression just to milk the ducts your production should recover .
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

it is normal for your body to adjust your milk supply and many mothers do not fill up in between nursings. the infant who has a productive suck has no problem stimulating a milk supply. But infants need to be fed 8 to 12 times per 24 hours. the more times per day the infant nurses the more milk your body will produce.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Thank you, I have a double pump, I've been pumping every 5 to 6 hours and he's been hungry every 2 hours. I have the medela pump in style and I can barely pump an ounce from both sides. I work at least 40 hours over 3 days Saturday-Monday. I've met with the lactation consultant and she says his suck is fine.The birth control isn't recommended for breastfeeding moms is the problem, I was given the wrong one and it decreases milk supply. I stopped taking the birth control will that help or will it not come back. I was told to use mothers' milk tea and freeugrek vitamins also, has that helped any one? So far everything I try hasnt shown a difference, it's frustrating.

Being able to pump 10 oz in between feedings isn't normal supply, it's oversupply. And because making extra milk is a waste of your body's energy and puts you at risk for nasty things like plugged ducts and mastitis, after a while your body adjusts supply to meet demand very precisely. A typical pump yield in between feedings for a mom whose supply is well-matched to demand would vary from nothing to just a few oz, depending on how close to the feeding you pumped.

Once you're back at work, you'll probably get more milk because you will be pumping instead of feeding, rather than pumping in addition to feeding. That being said, I am surprised that your doc prescribed the form of birth control that he did. I looked up Generess and it is a combination pill, and those are NOT recommended for breastfeeding. Stop taking it and you should see some rebound in supply, but I don't think you should expect a rebound to the original level of supply you had, because it was far in excess of the norm.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"