Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: One breast producing more milk than another?

Default One breast producing more milk than another?

Can it be the case for one breast to produce more milk, even when you're offering both?

What should one do to get them to produce an equal amount?

Or does your body just now to do it in time?

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who has been breastfeding for a week. Her millk came in about 4 days ago.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: One breast producing more milk than another?

Most women have a "dominant" breast that will always produce more than the other. There's no need to try and equalize them unless there is a HUGE difference. Just make sure both breasts get used equally throughout the day.

Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    Can it be the case for one breast to produce more milk, even when you're offering both?

What should one do to get them to produce an equal amount?

Or does your body just now to do it in time?

I'm writing on behalf of a friend who has been breastfeding for a week. Her millk came in about 4 days ago.
    My left one definitely produces more. For a while in the beginning, it was a good 2-3 sizes larger! I fed as much as i could on the right to even them out and it helped a ton - the left is still larger and has an OALD, but it it MUCH better.

Yes, my left one will produce twice the amount of the right and never quite feels empty

Smile Re: One breast producing more milk than another?

My doc said it is normal to have one produce more milk than the other even if both are used the exact same amount.
    I am the same as all the PP. I have a left side dominance - since day one. I was assuming it was because I am right handed and likely hold her better resulting in a better latch in the left. It because much larger for about week following a four hour pumping session on the left - I fell asleep with the pump attached and on (not fun so don't try it!)!
    Samantha: born 3 1/2 weeks early on Sept 2006 6lbs 4 oz 18 inches long with situs inversus totalis. Now a strong healthy little girl that wants to be a NICU doctor, loves her little sister and breastfeeds her dolls!
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 2,200 oz
    Alexandra: born 3 weeks early on July 2010 7lbs 8 oz 19.5 inches long.
    Milk donated with while nursing first LO: 1,200

For information on becoming a Breastmilk Donor http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk