Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ex tongue tie and gum biting

Default ex tongue tie and gum biting

Does anyone have any experience with tongue tie that has been corrected only for the baby to continue with poor technique?

My son sometimes feeds like a pro and other times bites my nipples with his gums to the point where the areola feels bruised and the nips sore and red. I take him off and try to relatch, but all to no avail.

Anyone with any experience?

thanks
    Caroline

Default Re: ex tongue tie and gum biting

Hi Caroline
    It definitely sounds like his latch needs to be checked. You can click the link in my sig to get ahold of a Leader in your area!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hi:
    I'm the one with the same problem as you - tongue tied clipped at 10 days and issues ever since. (Mostly from the early trauma of chewing on my nips)

Unlike you I have been unable to get him on the breast successfully. I've tried several times only to be in a lot of pain a few days later. I then got another double infection. So I've been pumping exclusively waiting to them to heal. Trouble with that is that pumping is a way to reinjure. A vicious cycle.

I have been working with a group of practioners that focus on breastfeeding. They are doctors, peds and LCs. They gave me the following diagnosis:

INfection/Trauma due to short latch and pumping on high setting

Moving forward I have been told that once he gains the weight and catches up that he may latch better. I don't know if that will happen as I can't get rid of the infection.

Did your baby lose a lot of weight due to the tongue tied? Do you nipples have a crease at all? Even a little? They said this was a sign of a short latch.

They did say that the assymetrical latch is the best one to do in order to achieve a deeper latch.

Hope this helps.

Kitty

Hi Kitty,

Thanks for the note. We have been struggling on. The health visitor and La Leche league advised trying to feed from breast then express and feed expressed milk. I found this really difficult as I don't have a hospital pump and I have found it OK to feed Luca the foremilk. He tends to start chomping after things slow down a bit.

My nips always end up at 45^ angle and I have blisters and sores along the ridge. I also feel bruised at the base of the nipple. Lucas latch also tends to slip upwards throughout the feed, and I find this difficult to correct, so I tend to switch sides lots of times.

I have been topping up with formula as I feed from both sides and afterwards struggle to get 1/2 fluid oz out. On a 3 hour schedule there doesn't seem to be a good time to express. Luca is 5.5 weeks now and he has put on 1lb since birth. He took 3 weeks to reach birth weight again. He looks bigger and healthy and is quite alert, but I do worry he is not getting enough sometimes.

We are battling on, trying to find a solution has become a small obsession, I guess when you spend 6 hours per day and in pain you want to sort it out.

Have you tried the Dr Jack Newman website - it is really good and lots or articles about tongue tie. No obvious answers though.

Keep me posted as would love to hear if you find a solution. I think it is something the baby is doing though rather then me. Have you tried putting your finger in your babies mouth part way through a feed to feel what they are doing? I found this quite helpful as I find it diffifult to feel what is going on through the breast.

Keep in touch
    Caroline

Hi Kitty,

Should also have mentioned I found the manual pump much less agressive then the automatic one. I found I could pump really slowly to start with manually until the milk got flowing. It took about 3 days for my wounds to heal so that the pain is not toe curling and shirt biting anymore, just bearable.

Another question, are your nipples white / colourless after a feed? Mine have been and I was miss diagnosed with thrush of the milk ducts. My nips feel a more painful in the cold as well. I think this is linked to poor circulation due to the problem.

Is your baby a big one? Luca is big and has a very strong suck, so wonder if this is the problem??

Many questions, no answers!

Caroline