Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pinching and hands in face while breastfeeding.

Default Re: pinching and hands in face while breastfeeding.

My 6 month old displays a lot of these behaviors, too. She actually used to full on swing her arms back and punch me when she was 2-3 months old! I have had a lot of success just holding her hand or giving her my hand to smack, poke, or pinch. Most of the time she's a pretty gentle girl now, but I just slip my hand in there when she's a bit more feisty.

I have no advice but I just read this thread hoping to hear it gets better and my daugher can learn to stop hurting mommy!My 14 week old kicks the breast she is not eating from or kicks my face depending on her position and how awake she is. When she is nursing herself to sleep she is so gentle but if she is not sleepy Im in trouble She also grabs but since she doesnt have a developed grip yet she usually catches some skin between her extended fingers and then balls her hands up into a fist. I have tiny little hickey like bruises in semi-circles around each breast now. My husband kept saying it was so cute so I imitate her grab on his arms It didnt make her stop but it certainly made me feel better!

One thing that worked well for us was that I redirected him from pinching/squeezing the free nipple to doing the same to my elbow folds. I cannot remember right now how old he was when I taught him and it did take a while. It will depend on course on nursing position and body size (yours and the baby's) if this works. And now that he is 4 1/2 and I have been gently encouraging him to wean this past year it is a major tool in the weaning process - if he wants to nurse and I don't, I suggest he knead my elbow instead and he is really content doing that instead of nursing.

I have been working on having my little one hold her lovey or the extra fabric of my shirt & it seems to be working. I still often have one finger curled in my mouth -- as that is her new favorite position, but I think it is less often. Just another thought for you.

An update of sorts...Yesterday my daughter discovered that if we are using the boppy her feet can reach my nose. As in toe up my nostril. She was basically nursing upside down for the pleasure of trying to pick my nose with her foot. Should be interesting when she figures out how to do that without the boppy and decides to do it in public.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*elliemommy View Post
    An update of sorts...Yesterday my daughter discovered that if we are using the boppy her feet can reach my nose. As in toe up my nostril. She was basically nursing upside down for the pleasure of trying to pick my nose with her foot. Should be interesting when she figures out how to do that without the boppy and decides to do it in public.
    okay that mental picture is hilarious lol. Just a little update. She is geting much better just now instead of pinching she bites :/
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emmysmum View Post
    Just a little update. She is geting much better just now instead of pinching she bites :/
    Oh mama - that is one bad nursing behavior you will want to nip in the bud! Do you have a plan? If not, here are some helpful pages on biting:

http://www.llli.org/faq/bite.html

http://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/biting/

Mine went thru a biting phase - no fun at all, but thankfully short-lived once I started using some of those techniques. Good luck!