Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pinching and hands in face while breastfeeding.

Default pinching and hands in face while breastfeeding.

My daughter LOVES to put her hands in my face while she is eating. She has recently started trying to jam her fingers in my nose :/ Since she is only 7 months old is she even old enough to start teaching "mannors" yet? Also she has always had her hand on my breast while she is eating. Now she is starting this wierd thing where she grabs on and pinches really hard. I have tried pulling her hand off. Lightly taping it and saying no, just saying no, pulling her off and ending the session. Nothing seems to be conveying that I really do not want her pinching me or sticking her fingers up my nose and in my mouth lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Default Re: pinching and hands in face while breastfeeding.

Mine has cycled through all of those charming behaviors, and many others! I did/do address them (i.e. encourage good nursing manners) as soon I encounter a behavior I don't like. One thing that helped us was a nursing necklace. I would remove his hands from pinching my face/other breast/pulling hair/etc, and redirect it to the nursing necklace, and then praise him when he played there instead of fiddling with me. It took some repetition but he did get it and he still likes to play with it while we nurse. You could also wear a colorful scarf and let baby play with that, or string some links around your neck, or have a soft sensory toy on hand to put in baby's fingers. Good luck!

I don't have any advice. Just wanted to share that my little one at 10 months does the same thing. I was actually thinking about posting the same question!

I have tried to use a necklace, her lovey, or my shirt, but she seems to only want mommy's skin. I will let you know if I find anything that works!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emmysmum View Post
    My daughter LOVES to put her hands in my face while she is eating. She has recently started trying to jam her fingers in my nose :/ Since she is only 7 months old is she even old enough to start teaching "mannors" yet? Also she has always had her hand on my breast while she is eating. Now she is starting this wierd thing where she grabs on and pinches really hard. I have tried pulling her hand off. Lightly taping it and saying no, just saying no, pulling her off and ending the session. Nothing seems to be conveying that I really do not want her pinching me or sticking her fingers up my nose and in my mouth lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    I realize some other responders haven't had luck with this but I have success with putting something in my daughters hand. I try to go for soft because its going to undoubtedly end up being used to batter me and my chest. I switch it up a lot. We have small rubber bath toys, finger puppets, a teething ring, etc. if she's particularly rambunctious I take her away from the breast and sit on the floor and play with her. After a break I try again. She sometimes winds up up up before she goes down or a nap or for bed and since I nurse her to sleep I may have to try quite a few times with the play breaks before she settles.

My daughter is 9 months. She grabs, pinches, squeezes and she has super iron grip strength, seriously. It HURTS! My older kids did this but more sporadically and not as hard. With my daughter, it's a regular thing and it can be agony. I give her my fingers to grab, as they can withstand her Vulcan pinch powers. That works fine until she starts biting the finger.

Like your baby, mine also does the grabbing/pinching while nursing as well. I think it is kneading behavior, and if it is too uncomfortable I try redirecting it to my hand or some clothing or even just open her hand up so it's not so pinchy. Or I might try doing breast compressions myself or I switch sides, assuming she is looking for a faster flow.

Here is how I try to look at it. My baby is a survivor. At the dawn of man, all humans were nomads moving from place to place for food. Babies that could grab mom and hold on survived even if mom was to exhausted or ill to carry baby anymore. I have never tried it, but I am pretty sure I could wear this baby even without my sling! I also think this is all just part of normal exploration of her world. She grabs everything else she sees, why not my lower lip?

As far as teaching manners-that depends on what you mean by teaching. If my kid is tweaking my nose and it really hurts, I say 'ow' and take her hand away. The other night at a LLL meeting, she got a hold of a another kid’s hair (they were crawling around on the floor together) and I quickly pried her lose before the poor kid was scalped and picked her up. Other times, I might let her grab and explore (me, not innocent babies) if it’s not to bad. If this goes on into toddler hood, I might move into saying 'gentle touch' and demonstrating gentle touch. But I don’t expect her to learn not to do this anytime soon. I know she is not trying to hurt, and is only just barely beginning to get an inkling of what cause and effect is. She is just not developmentally anywhere near the point she can even really stop doing this.

Thanks for the great ideas I tried just letting her hold my hand and that worked for a while. Then her stuffed monkey came into play. She loved having her monkey She was just smiling away at it and getting milk everywhere but at least I did not get pinched or get a finger up my nose
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

I was just starting to type 'yeah, baby finger up the nose is the worst' and my baby just poked me in the eye!!!

Don't Put Your Finger Up Your Nose by Barry Louis Polisar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbjzTBFeXao&sns=tw
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I wish I had thought longer term on this when my second child started nipple pinching while nursing. I thought "OH how silly and cute" until I realized she was 2 years old and I was so resentful of her "cute" habit. I wish that I had started earlier on to distract her. Either with a nursing necklace or just redirection. I had to break her of the habit at 2 years and that was much harder since I had let her continue it for so long. So my suggestion is to try to redirect her gently. It is not too early to teach nursing "manners". What she is doing is not bad or wrong and probably really natural. But if its not working for you, its ok to redirect.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I have never tried it, but I am pretty sure I could wear this baby even without my sling!
    lllmeg - this made me chuckle a little. It's how I feel sometimes when DD gets a hold... LOL!

I think most babies go through a phase of this and I think all we can do when our LO's are so young is to distract a little as PP's have already suggested.

hugs to you mama! x
    -Ishy-

Married 28 july 2005
    Mummy to my DS , born 30 july 2008
    proud to have BF him for 8 months
    Now a Mummy for the 2nd time to my DD , born 15 june 2012 for 15 1/2months! Still whenever we can and

DS Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 15oz - 19.5inches
    4 yrs: 35lbs 4oz - 3feet 5.5inches
    5 yrs: 40lbs - 3feet 8inches

DD Stats
    Birth: 7lbs 13oz - 19.5inches
    6.5 months 12lbs 14oz - 26inches
    9 months 15lbs 13oz
    15months 20lbs 11oz - 30 inches