Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did I just run out of milk?

Default Did I just run out of milk?

I thought I had over supply but now we have hit a growth spurt and by tonight i feel totally empty and she is screaming and coming off the boob. When i try to express i get almost nothing. should i be freaking out now?

Default Re: Did I just run out of milk?

should mention that i have not been pumping regularly as i feel her always on demand, she is 8 weeks old. she has never had a bottle but i am wondering right now if i need to offer her one with milk i pumped and had frozen from her first month.

Your breasts are never empty. They may feel that way at the end of the day - when milk supply tends to be less - but there's milk in there. It's common for an 8 week old to be fussy in the evening. Offer the breast; if she doesn't want it, you can always offer again a little while later. Assuming that everything is on track with baby's weight gain and diaper output, no need to offer frozen milk.

Normally there is no reason to pump in addition to breastfeeding on demand if you are not separated from baby. However, pumping in addition to breastfeeding on demand is done under certain situations. Have there been any problems with baby's growth? How are baby's diapers?

Tips for helping with a fussy baby:
    Make sure baby is burped and has a clean diaper
    Motion - rocking, bouncing on an exercise ball, walking with baby in a carrier or pushing baby in a stroller
    Decrease stimuli - lights, noise, etc; sing something soothing and monotonous to baby
    Keep baby close

Sometimes no matter what you try baby will be fussy! Usually babies grow out of this by about 3 months or so, but some babies are more sensitive than others.

I am used to that kind of fussiness but this is a new thing for us and not the same as it was when it was the "colic" fussiness as far as i can tell. she is getting only mad when she is showing signs of hunger latching on and then getting little to nothing. at first she was just annoyed and now with time and each offering she is getting more and more angry. This has just been today so I don't think it is far enough along for her to have started having dry diapers or big weight loss. Just wondering if when she is suddenly eating every hour the whole day long, if it depletes your milk supply and if there is anything you can or should do about this.

she is showing signs of hunger latching on and then getting little to nothing.
    How do you know she is getting little or nothing? Why would this happen? It does not make sense. A womans body does not just stop producing milk for no reason. UNLESS you have started on hormonal based birth control That can possibly cause production issues.

Baby wanting to nurse a lot or being fussy is in general, nothing to worry about. It's totally normal. Roll with it and let baby nurse, this is how you and baby together keep your producton in good shape for growth spurts. If she won't nurse, calm her some other way down and try again later. Also Try to nurse at earliest cues before she gets upset.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*babybean31913 View Post
    Just wondering if when she is suddenly eating every hour the whole day long, if it depletes your milk supply and if there is anything you can or should do about this.
    It sounds like a growth spurt to me, mama. Eating every hour all day long won't deplete your milk supply, it will boost it. But it takes a day or maybe two for your production to ramp up to meet her demand. Giving her a bottle of expressed milk could derail that process so I wouldn't recommend it. I think just keep offering as she demands, or even before she demands if you think it will help keep her from getting frustrated. Get skin to skin with her and try to stay relaxed. Maybe even take a bath with her and nurse there.

You're doing great. Keep up the good work!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks so much ladies! I assumes she wasn't getting anything cause after she let go and i tried to express i got nothing. I just got super scared, ask my hubby I over think and worry big time lol. By this morning it seems to be ok. My boobs still feel super light which seems so odd (especially for morning!) but she is eating normally again, if a lot still hehe. In the moment I was so just taken aback because usually even at night I can get milk to squirt out with ease. I think it must just be my boobs finally evening out and not making way too much and that scared me hehe.

OH and I did just start the depo 3 month shot. (almost 2 weeks ago) The gyno told me that it was ok to use while breastfeeding....that wouldnt have caused my supply to start dropping or anything would it? If yes what can I do about it cause I have to wait now to get it out of my system if i were to need to stop taking it, which i would in order to breastfeed with ease.

Your doc is on crack. Depo is NOT okay for breastfeeding. Some moms will experience a large decrease in supply after getting the injection, and unlike every other hormonal contraceptive on the market, you can't stop taking it (like the pill) or have it removed (like the hormonal IUD). You just have to wait for it to wear off. That takes 3 months, I think?

Okay, since there's nothing you can do at this point except wait for the shot to wear off, how do you manage the situation in the meantime? The first thing you do is nurse on demand, no matter how often or how long the baby seems to want. The second thing you do is to keep a close eye on diaper output and weight gain. If either of those things happen to drop below normal, you may need to supplement. But cross that particular bridge when you come to it. It's quite possible that your supply is still enough for baby.

Finally, when the time comes and the shot wears off, don't go and get a repeat!!! There are plenty of contraceptive choices which are safe for breastfeeding, and you can always run them by the forum.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

OK, wow about the depo shot. PLEASE I beg you, tell your doctor they are wrong to tell mothers it is "OK" to take something while breastfeeding
    that has been proven to harm milk production!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EDIT-NO, I am wrong, this has not been proven if the shot is given after 6 weeks (Although there is still evidence it does.) Please see my later posts

For ACCURATE info on hormone based birth control methods and breastfeeding, you can also call these folks. www.infantrisk.org
    In fact I would suggest calling them anyway to talk about what happened here and see if they have anything to add to mommals suggestions, which I think are good.

It will be ok. I agree with mommal about how to handle this. Luckily, you had normal milk production established by the time yuou had the shot (at about 6 weeks of age, correct?) which I think will lessen the impact of this. Mothers are given depo shot in the hospital sometimes right after birth and that is really tragic. I am just so sad thinking about all the mothers and babies who are being adversely affected by hormonal birth control when there are so many perfectly safe and effective bc options. It's infuriating!
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; May 18th, 2013 at 10:13 AM.