Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Refuses Bottled Breastmilk

Unhappy Refuses Bottled Breastmilk

My 4 month old was solely breastfed for the first 3 months, I am now back at work and pump during the day, I don't pump much, a bottle every two days, so my baby takes a good amount of formula at day care. We recently discovered he refuses a breastmilk bottle. We have given them to him before with no problem but recently everyone who has watched him has had problems including us this past weekend. He cried till we gave him formula. I will note he nurses from me with no problem at all. Is this normal, can I do something to change this, feel like I pump for nothing.

Default Re: Refuses Bottled Breastmilk

You're not pumping for nothing! Even if your baby never takes another drop of breastmilk via bottle, the pumping you do during the day will help keep your supply going strong for those times when you're home with him.

Have you taste-tested the expressed milk? And was it stored for long?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We have taste tested it before and it seems fine. most are stored for at most 4 days but the one in particular we gave him saturday was pumped friday so I am sure it wasnt bad. I have been told that some womens milk breaks down very quickly, it can be from the tap or not at all kind of thing. Could this be happening?

Yes, for some moms lipase issues develop very quickly, and they can come and go with time. But that bottle was so new... I wonder if your baby maybe has it in his head that daycare means bottles of formula? Babies can develop funny little quirks about what is in their bottles.

If your baby continues to refuse expressed milk, you could try mixing it with formula. That might be ideal for you, since you're already supplementing. Ordinarily moms are told not to mix expressed milk with formula unless the baby is refusing straight formula, because the storage guidelines for milk and formula are very different. Unused breastmilk can go back in the fridge, unused formula goes down the drain. But in your situation, the expressed milk is already getting wasted, so...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"