Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Where do I go from here? 1 year +

Default Where do I go from here? 1 year +

So glad to have made it to a year! LO is eating *pretty much* 3 meals a day, but really its more like snacks throughout. He eats what we eat generally, and it has really helped us to eat more healthfully and wholly. He is also still nursing, I guess? alot? Many times, don't even really know, through out the day and still wakes at night. I never scheduled and still nurse on request. Really going great.
    But now what? Am I suppose to start another milk? COWS or goats Vit D? It's against the law to sell raw milk in the state of KY, so I'm really not sure what to do. And, he only usually has a little bit of water with each meal, just to learn a sippy, and never any juice. Is it ok for diluted juice now?? What do I do Ladies. Love hearing from you and all your experiences. Thank you Thank you.

Erin
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin

Default Re: Where do I go from here? 1 year +

Hi Erin, congrats on making it to a year! That's great! It sounds like your LO is getting plenty of milk. If he is nursing 3-5 times/24 hours, which it sounds like he is, you don't need to do cow's milk (or other animal milk). And I think what you're doing with water in the sippy is fine too. Personally I've avoided juice as much as possible. In my mind it's like giving sugar water.

congratulations!

what i did was offer water and what, where i live, is called "baby tea". It is blend of anis seeds, fennel seed and caraway seeds. In Northern Europe you can buy it in bags in health food stores, or get the loose seeds if these tea bags are not sold where you live - but be sure to get organic (even if you do not usually buy organic) as seeds such as above tend to be heavily polluted with pesticides etc if regular kind.

Also each of these alone makes a nice tea. And they all three sooth the digestive tract as an added bonus.

Dont confuse this baby tea with "Instant baby tea" - those granules which are dissolved and are made mostly of sugar and only flavoured.
    Also chamomille is a good choice for a baby tea. I would stay away from fruit teas or other herbal teas for now.
    Re sweetening tea: sometimes you can get baby tea with licorice in it but I am not certain if licorice is really good for small toddlers. Anis and fennel tend to be really sweet on their own. I never added sugar and so he never expected it, now my son (who is now 4 1/2) still likes the "baby tea" on occasion.

I would not offer any juice, whether diluted or not. It is really more of a food, if you know what I mean - a small amount raises the blood sugar level immediately and then any appetite is gone. Also it ruins the teeth.

I never gave cows milk and he is fne and healthy at 4 1/2. In my opinion milk is so heavily processed it is unnatural. I did and do however give him other dairy products, yoghurt and sour cream for example. But only organic kind and no sugar or flavor or whatver else added and no thickening agent added.

As long as your baby is still nursing at the breast, there is no reason to give him anything else to drink except some water. (Breastmilk also has lots of water so acts as a thirst quencher as well.) I think the rule of thumb is baby nursing at least 4 times a day means baby needs no other milk. But I have no idea where that rule of thumb comes from. That is not sto say, avoid milk at all cost. It just means, it's not needed. My kids drink some milk and we started much later-somewhere around three maybe? But we also nursed that long (in fact, longer.)

Moms are told by doctors and nutritionists to give a child cow milk daily starting at a year because it is an easy way to make sure a busy toddler gets enough calories, calcium and Vit. D. By far, most toddlers are not still nursing, and most parents want to get off the expensive formula. So cow milk is the default beverage. In other words, this recommendation of cow milk at a year is assuming baby is no longer nursing. Your milk is still much more healthy and appropriate for your child than any other milk.

And all these types of recommendations are designed for the most at risk part of the population-to ward off real health issues caused when children are not provided a healthy balanced diet by their parents.

You can find the nutrients that are either in or added to cow milk in other foods, and vitamin D from sun light exposure. It's summer (or will be soon.) You could simply let your child have some reasonable time in the sun each day without sun block. How long depends on where you live, time of year, and childs skin pigment.

If your baby does need vitamin supplements (perhaps in the winter months) you can give them in vitamin drops. You can get a Vit. D product that has the daily suggested child’s dose in one drop.

You can give your child diluted juice if you like of course. But why? Water is delicious and all that is ever really needed as far as thirst is concerned. Why teach children to expect sweetened drinks? I have always kept juice consumption for birthday parties only.

Congrats on your One Year Milestone! I was/am so happy to have made it as well. Your LO sounds like mine. She still loves breastfeeding but is a pretty good eater as well. She turned 13 months on the 6th and we just gave her cow's milk this week.

The only reason she is getting cow's milk is that I am currently in the hospital dealing with a Crohn's issue. She wasn't able to visit me to nurse for the first 48 hours and I couldn't get a hold of a pump until 24 hours after I was admitted. I wanted her to have something similar-ish to drink since this was the first time we have ever been separated from our nursing relationship besides when I go to work. (no more freezer stash either) Otherwise, I don't think we would have done the CM until much later and may discontinue after I get home.

We buy 100% grass-fed/pastured milk from a local-ish dairy that is sold at Whole Foods. It is minimally processed (not homogenized, but it is pasteurized.) So not raw but closer to raw than "regular" supermarket milk.

Edited to add: I would skip the juice too. Water is just fine!

Thanks for the replies Mamas!

bfwmomof3: sugar water and juice- yes! I agree. I think I'm gonna treat it as a treat.

mammi: I am gonna have to try that baby tea! thank you

meg: always great for your input. I remember your great advice in the very beginning and it really blesses my soul to see you are so commited to helping all of us Mamas out.

etoile: i do hope you are doing better and out of the hospital. My SIL deals with Crohn's and I know it's no walk in the park. Hang in there, dear.

Thanks again ladies. Been a great year so far and I have such a warm place in my heart for this community. I am not on here as much but boy do I respect and the love it.
    Blessings
    FTM 4.24.12

Erin