Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Has biting caused a nursing strike?

Default Has biting caused a nursing strike?

My son just turned 1 and recently has bitten me a couple of times, but not too hard. Today however was different. When I offered the breast this morning, instead of latching on he looked at my nipple, smiled a little as he took it into his mouth, then bit me. I put my finger in his mouth and took him off immediately, and looked at him, I think I looked upset, because he started to cry. Now whenever I have offered him the breast, he does the same thing. I am quite worried because he hasn't had a proper feed for around 12 hours - he has had some solid food and water, but not loads.

Is this the beginning of a nursing strike? I am hoping he will feed normally before bed today and through the night, but what do I do if he won't?

Default Re: Has biting caused a nursing strike?

Having BTDT at the same age, I completely understand how heart-wrenching it can be for a child not to nurse for a longer than usual period. It's also a real pain to keep getting bitten.

That being said, I think you can take a few steps to help your son nurse successfully.

1. As much as possible, try to take this long interval in stride and keep the mindset that your DS will nurse successfully at your next usual feed. Your calm will set the emotional tone for the day. I know this was easier said than done for me.

2. Spend a little extra time snuggling, maybe even skin to skin, before you plan to nurse. You want to disassociate the biting from the nursing.

3. Nursing down to a nap or sleep for the night can make a nice, secure transition back to regular nursing. Try to envision that as your "anchor" to normalcy!

4. If/when your son bites again, as calmly as possible unlatch and end the nursing session. It may be helpful to offer a teether and say something like "bite this." I never had luck with the "don't bite" approach with my son; he seems to respond much more positively (and quickly!) when he has a positive goal to work toward. I remember biting the heck out of a particular teething ring to show DS how much fun it was to bite an appropriate object. We didn't bite anything else--just that one teether.

HTH!

Oops, just deleted a double post! Butterfingers!
    Last edited by @llli*alphawoman; May 18th, 2013 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks for your reply Alphawoman. I'm happy to say that he fed as normal before bed, and things have been fine ever since. He has clamped down a little hard a couple of times, but no biting :-)