Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk amount with Lunch time nursing?

Default Milk amount with Lunch time nursing?

I am just starting back to work and I work from home 90% of the time, so I am really lucky. I knew I had a trip coming up the first week of June for three days./3 nights I just found out that I have a trip the last week of May as well for two days/1 night. I am really thankful that my mom has agreed to come with me for both so that ds (almost 4 months at time of trips) can come along. Phew!

Since he is coming, I will be able to nurse in the morning, at lunch, at the end of the day, and through the night. I know the general rule is 1-1.5 oz for every hour away from mom. How does this adjust with lunch nursing? It will pronably be 4 hour stretches that we are apart. Should mom (grandma) plan to feed on cue about 3-6 oz and avoid the hour before I see him? How much should I bring? I'm not sure what my pump output will be while away from him for the day, so I don't know if I can rely on that for the next day. I have about 12 oz in the freezer stash now, I'll have to work on building that up in the next two weeks. Little man typically nurses a lot, frequently for comfort, so grandma will have to use her magic!
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

Default Re: Milk amount with Lunch time nursing?

Also, any suggestions for having the baby in the hotel would be welcome. We have traveled for weekends to our sailboat, but that is a lot like vacation home for us-key word being " home". Anything you wouldn't travel without?
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13

i don't know how it'll adjust for lunch nursing for your little one. you might want to do a trial day in advance to get a sense? your plan to have your mom give bottles on demand, but avoid the hour before you see him, sounds good. a normal bottle size should be 3-4 oz, not 3-6 oz, though. you won't want him getting 6 oz an hour and a half before you get there!

the things i can't live without while traveling are carriers and a swim suit. i love hotel pools with ds. a stroller, if your mom won't/doesn't use the carrier. i've found hotels to be generally pretty baby proof, especially at 4 months.

good luck!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

I agree about the carrier. I hardly ever leave the house without it! I'll have to see if grandma is comfortable with that or if she wants a stroller too. I'm also thinking the boppy pillow for tummy time and nursing might be good.

I won't be able to do a trial run with grandma because she lives too far away. I might be able to do a trial day at home-part of me doesn't want to jeopardize the milk that I have been saving, just in case I don't pump enough on the trial day. If I get to pump once during the morning session and once during the afternoon session (plus nursing at lunch) I think that may be all I can-many moms pump 3 times at work, right? So that could be fairly on track. I agree 6 oz would be a huge bottle! I meant 3-6 oz over the 4 hours that I'm away. Maybe plan a 3 oz bottle plus a 1 oz topper and a 2 oz topper-both just in case?? Any moms out there nurse at lunch? How much do your little ones get in bottles during the day?

Thanks!
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13

I go to daycare and nurse LO at lunch. Our ever changing schedule for the moment is that I drop her at 8, go back at 11 to nurse and she gets a 3oz bottle around 1:30 then I pick her up at 4:15ish. She hates bottles so trying to give her one in the morning so I could come a little later didn't work. She will only take the bottle when she is really hungry. She also gets a snack of solids either once or twice a day depending on how she's doing (but she's 9 months old).
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

I think your plan to pump once during the morning session and once during the afternoon session is a good one. But just wanted to share my experience on a work trip where my mom and baby came along, in case it's a possibility: I also went back to the hotel at midday to nurse, but for the other sessions, when I didn't have much time, I had my mom bring my baby to me. I mean, if you're going to take a break to pump, why not just slip out and nurse during that time? I was a little stressed about how it would all work out, because it does mean imposing a feeding schedule which normally I would try to avoid, but it worked out really well. I brought my pump but I think I only used it once. I did have a small amount of expressed milk on hand at the hotel as well in case LO got hungry.

I thought about just having mom bring the baby to me, but he is a long nurser-typically around 45 minutes. I can pump in 10-20, so I think that might be more feasible. We'll see!
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. My LO was 7.5 months so she was an efficient nurser by then.