Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Away from 13 month old-pumping in hosptial

Default Away from 13 month old-pumping in hosptial

Hello! I am currently in the hospital for complications due to my Crohn's. This is the first full day and night away from my 13 month old DD and I miss her!

DD is great with solids and will be getting some cow's milk in addition to solids until I can go home. Both her and I love breastfeeding and I would like to pick-up where we left off before me being admitted into the hospital.

I have pumped a few times so far today but I am not sure if I should try to get as much milk out as possible or just pump for comfort? She nurses around 5-6+ times a day. Should I try to pump that much or, again, just for comfort? I have weaned from the pump so she just gets solids and water during the day while I am at work.

Thanks for any advice!

Default Re: Away from 13 month old-pumping in hosptial

Hi mama, sorry to hear that you are in the hospital. I went for a work trip last month when my baby was 13 months and ended up pumping twice a day, in the morning and at night. I think your goal is basically to prevent yourself from drying up - then when you are back together with your LO, if your supply is lower than what she wants, she'll work it back up by nursing. And of course you also don't want to get too engorged. How many times you need to pump to achieve that will differ from mother to mother. I definitely don't think you need to pump as much milk as possible at this point, though! Hope you feel better soon.

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts. I will just pump to make sure I don't get engorged and keep the milk flowing. I am feeling much better so I am hoping to get out of here tomorrow, fingers crossed! Thanks again!

I'm still here! I have been pumping but have a clog somewhere. So I'm working on that. BUT, I am ok for breastfeeding my DD! I am going to ask the nurses here to save the milk I pump from now on, although it seems that DD is liking the whole cows milk.

There was a little apprehension by nursing staff to "let" me nurse since the Pharmacy said that Cipro (one of the TWO antibiotics I am on right now, long story...) is not recommended for breastfeeding. However, the L.C. at the hospital told me that it is L3 according to Dr. Hale at InfantRisk and didn't want to say yes or no and left it up for DD's pediatrician. I called the pedi and they looked it up in the AAP database and according to AAP it is not contraindicated for breastfeeding and they go by what the AAP says.

I found most of this information out myself but no one was interested in what I had to say, it had to come from someone "official". Of course I was going to nurse her anyway, since I feel comfortable but it is a little awkward when other people are acting like they disapprove of your actions.

I will tell my husband and the rest of my family that is taking care of her while I am in the hospital to keep a look out for any change in stools and my husband is going to pick up a probiotic for her. If anyone has any recommendations, I am all ears. (She likes yogurt too) I am going to go on one once I get out of here! So, I am approaching this with caution still but we have come so far just to wean!

The sad thing is that she wasn't really happy to see me after over 48 hours away from me. She wouldn't come to me right away and did nurse but took a little smiling while daddy held her and signing "milk" to her that she did nurse but somewhat timidly. To her credit, she was in a strange place and I am in a hospital gown. But, I feel soooo bad it is killing me! She will visit again later but all I want to do is go home.

Thanks for letting me vent. My family is bf friendly but I feel like mamas here can empathize a little better with me.

I know there are other threads about meds and breastfeeding but I am going to put my resources here for the meds I had questions about for anyone else looking around.

Antibiotics:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...s/#Antibiotics

Flagyl:
    http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/show...ghlight=flagyl

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/

Cipro:

http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/

http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/show...ighlight=cipro

Thanks for listening!

Hi mama, glad to hear you can get back to breastfeeding! That's really, really frustrating that people are not listening to you.

Try not to worry too much about your daughter's reaction. I think it's very normal for small children to be scared when they see mommy in the hospital. My older kids had similar reactions when they came to the hospital to visit their brand new sibling. I think once you get home everything will be back to normal.

Agree with the probiotics and yogurt!

And thanks for posting all the links.

Yes, it is very frustrating to the point of tears but it worked out in the end, I just have to trust those mama instincts! I saw my DD again today recently and she was much more happy to see me. She even was tugging at my shirt to nurse, so I feel a lot better about that too. I didn't get any sleep last night worrying about everything but I think I will be able to get some rest tonight. phew!

I hope so! You need rest to heal. Glad to hear your daughter was wanting to nurse, too!