Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best way to build supply and store to waste less?

Default Best way to build supply and store to waste less?

Hey everyone. It's been a while since I have been on because after a few bumps in the road my first and I were bfing pros. But with time and another baby, I need some more advice.

I am a recent RN graduate looking for her first job. I have a few interviews lined up and expect to have a job in the next month or two. I have not pumped yet, and will need to start getting a supply ready for my little girl. What is the best way to do this? Right now I am a SAHM and am only away for an appt or two here or there (docs, interviews, etc) for now. When should I pump? I believe I have a forceful ejection or letdown or something because my daughter detaches a lot during the "spray" and gets everything soaked and sticky - my son never had issues but my daughter is a lot smaller than he was at birth.

Also, I use storage bags. Since we don't know exactly how much my ladybug eats, what is the best system you found for storing that helps you waste less?
    I'm Donna
    Wife to my best friend Ronnie
    Mommy To:
    Colin born 1/1/11, 9lbs even - 22 inches
    Natalie born 4/5/13, 6lbs 9oz - 19.5 inches

Default Re: Best way to build supply and store to waste less?

Hi mama, welcome back!

You'll need about 1 - 1.5 ounces of milk per hour apart from your LO. So, for example, if you are apart 10 hours, you need 10 - 15 ounces for your first day back. (Let's say 15, with a couple ounces to spare, because you don't want to have too little). Then the first day you work, you pump for the next day you'll be working. So really, not TOO much you need to save up right now. One way to do this is to pump after a morning feeding (morning because you have the most milk then). Don't be discouraged if you only get half an ounce or an ounce, especially in the beginning - if you get 1 ounce a day for a few weeks then you'll have plenty! Remember that when you're pumping at work, you'll be pumping instead of a feeding rather than on top of a feeding. You don't want to pump too much each day because you don't want to get oversupply problems, especially since you may have overactive letdown from what you describe.

In terms of freezing, a typical meal at the breast is somewhere in the range of 2-4 ounces, so that's how much you want the bottle size to be. For example, you could give bags with 2.5-3 ounce bags, with 1 ounce bags for "toppers." Or another mother on here said she freezes in different amounts (let's say 1, 2, 3 and 4 ounces) so the daycare provider can mix and match. The key is to prevent overfeeding since that makes it harder to pump everything you need and also gives your LO less incentive to nurse when you are together.

Here are some resources from kelly mom about bottle-feeding the breastfed baby:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/e...reastfed-baby/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/