Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning already or just distracted

Default Weaning already or just distracted

Lately for the past week or so my DD doesn't seem as interested in nursing as she used to be. For example I nurse her as soon as she and I get home for the day. Previously she would marathon nurse for about 45-60 minutes. Now I'm lucky if I can get her to nurse for 20 minutes or so. I nurse her again right before bed and sometimes she falls asleep sooner than normal and I worry that she didn't get enough then too. On the weekend it was hard to get her to nurse long either. When she does she pops off and wants to roll on her stomach and start crawling. I talk her into nurse again a few times and repeat on the other side. I'm thinking she is just distracted by her newfound skills but want a second (or third or fourth) opinion. Should I be pumping after nursing sessions like this (please say no b/c I already pump enough during the day)? Will this negatively affect my supply? Now she is back to only waking for 1 night time nursing where up until sometime this last week (prior to the poping on and off and shortened nursing sessions) she was waking at least twice. Oh by the way she is almost 10 months old.

Default Re: Weaning already or just distracted

Just distracted. Which is really, really common for a baby this age. As you've seen, she's learning lots of new skills and she has better things to do than nurse! I will also say that 45-60 minutes, and even 20 minutes, is a long time for a 10 month old to nurse. They get much more efficient with nursing as they get older, so a baby this age may only nurse 5-10 minutes and get as much as a newborn gets in an hour. So no, you don't need to pump, unless you start struggling with daytime pump output. If she gets so distracted that she is not getting enough during the day, she will make up for it by nursing more at night - it doesn't sound like she is doing that right now, but just be available if she starts demanding more at night again!

Sounds totally normal! My little guy turned 11 months today, and his behavior is similar. Unless he's nursing to sleep (bedtime or naps), he will only nurse for maybe 3-5 minutes, and nursing to sleep maybe 20 at the most. I would also say that it won't affect your supply, which is well established by now. A few days ago my LO was on a solids strike and nursed more, and there was plenty for him.

with the PPs.

If you start to have problems pumping enough, then it might be necessary to pump after feedings at night. But cross that bridge if and when you come to it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

One more question.....when she falls asleep at the breast I tend to unlatch her when she is barely sucking and switch sides to ensure she gets enough before going to sleep for the night. Is this okay or is this something I shouldn't be doing? She may open her eyes but after actively nursing again for awhile she goes back to sleep.

Oh by the way... most of the time when she nurses for extended periods it is usually b/c she is tired and ends up taking a quick nap at the breast. There are times that she must not be getting as much as she wants or as fast as she wants it b/c she will make grunting noises and smack/slap my breast simutaneously.

Napping at the breast - normal! And if you want to switch sides - I don't see a problem with that. If she's not getting as much as she wants, she'll suck more, and that tells your supply to increase.

I always switch sides when my LO falls asleep nursing. After about 10 min, he is usually fast asleep (when nursing down for naps/bedtime or overnight), so I will gently unlatch him and switch sides. Strangely, this movement barely wakes him. His eyes might flutter a bit, but he doesn't fully wake up. Then I can gently raise his head to the breast, and he will open his mouth wide, then start actively nursing again, though quite asleep. If I didn't switch sides he would get maybe half as much milk per day! Of course in the event that I switch sides and he doesn't resume nursing, or does so for a minute then stops, then he's out, but this is fairly rare. So, do switch sides if you think your LO needs/wants it, and when you do switch if she's actively nursing again then she must!