Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: "Healed" milk blister still sore

Default "Healed" milk blister still sore

I got a milk blister/clogged duct just over a month ago. I was able to remove the skin from the blister which did unclog the duct. However, the spot where the blister used to be is still very sore. It's not red, is only slightly swollen, milk is coming out of it, but my baby will occasionally suckle a little when he's falling asleep and its so sore that it about makes me want to jump out of my skin. I'm not concerned about infection b/c there are just not any signs of that, but I'm wondering why this soreness is sticking around so long. Thoughts?

Default Re: "Healed" milk blister still sore

My experience with blisters/blebs was that they tended to heal in a week or less. The fact that you still have some soreness makes me wonder if there is a small infection around that broken blister. You might want to try using something which my LC recommended to me: a mixture of equal parts Bacitracin ointment and 1% hydrocortisone cream (use pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger, does not need to be wiped off before nursing). The antibiotic will deal with infection, and the hydrocortisone will reduce inflammation.

Saltwater soaks might also be helpful for reducing infection (if present) and promoting healing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"