Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 month old barely eats solids

Default 11 month old barely eats solids

My son will be a year old at the end of this month. We started him on cereal around 6 months and baby food not too long after. He did pretty well for a while, then it was like he kind of just got tired of the baby food. I no longer give him cereal because he became constipated (his ped is aware) but I try to incorporate oatmeal baby food into his diet. Now, for the past month or so, he seems to choke and/or gag on a lot of the food I give him and plain refuses most baby food. He will eat yogurt and puffs and that's about it. I give him what I'm eating sometimes if its really mushed up but he sometimes gags on it, as well. I'm concerned that once he's a year old and older that he won't be able to eat real food! I know he's getting what he needs from breast milk but I'm still worried that he will have issues with refusing food and choking.

Default Re: 11 month old barely eats solids

This is all entirely normal. Children tend to have less of an appetite as they get to about 12 months! Isn’t that crazy? I had never heard that before but that is what research says. We all stress out so much about how little toddlers eat, and it's totally normal!

If you really want to delve into the myths and facts of kids and eating, I suggest the book My Child Won't Eat by Carlos Gonzalez. It is fascinating.

I also suggest, stop spoon feeding (if that is what you have been doing.) Try letting baby feed himself, small chunks of soft foods he can pick up, or let him munch on something he can hold in his fist.

Healthy, normal children do not need to learn to eat, any more than they needed to learn to latch and nurse as newborns. yes, they needed practice to get good at it, but otherwise it's instinctual. Same with eating solids. And if they CAN chew and swallow (as your child has proven he can) they are not going to somehow unlearn that, unless they have some serious injury. I suggest, offer a reasonable variety of safe and healthy foods and let your child decide how much he wants to eat.

It makes sense, when you think about growth rate. Babies grow fastest when they're brand-new, and growth rate slows throughout the first year and slows even further as you get into the second year. A baby may double his birthweight in just a few months, but he's not likely to double again until he's around 3 years old- for example, imagine a baby who is born at 8 lbs, reaches 16 lbs by around 4-6 months, but doesn't get to 32 lbs until he's closer to age 3. So food intake and caloric need are likely to decrease as the baby's growth rate slows.

Definitely try letting baby self-feed! Some babies just hate hate HATE the spoon coming at them. And gagging is actually somewhat less likely when a baby self-feeds, because he can decide how far in to put his solids, and will only put them in when his mouth is ready for them and his tongue is in position to move them around in a way that is comfortable for him.

My son is about the same age and has recently, within the last month, also been refusing baby food. Sometimes he eats it just fine, but other times he presses his lips together and goes "mmm!" as if he doesn't want it at all. I'm thinking, you must be hungry! But sometimes he just won't eat it. However, when I break out the puffs or Cheerios, he all too quickly grabs one up and puts it in his mouth. I can also get him to drink BM out of a cup (I pump a little extra every morning so I have it to use throughout the day, about 3 oz, and any extra remaining goes in the freezer).

I hear you--it is very frustrating to try to feed your baby food that he used to eat so well but now refuses. I've just been going with whatever he wants. If he eats it, fine; if not, then I try to find something that he can pick up and put into his mouth. I'm still working on transitioning to more finger foods, and he's not so good at getting slimy banana pieces or steamed veggie chunks into the mouth/chewed/swallowed, but I guess that will come with more time and practice? Just know you're not alone!

Hi Momma! The fact that he's really into those puffs tells me that he's ready for finger foods and for more exploration with textures. It's entirely possible he's just not that into mushy anymore.

You might want to look at some info on Baby Led Solids (BLS). This link is geared toward slightly younger but should lead you to some other links on offering finger foods: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/solids-how/

Have you tried giving DS chip shaped pieces of fruit? Pears, peaches, plums, and apricots are all pretty soft but are something he can bite or gum. Those are all favorites here. DD also does well with baby sized meatballs. Quinoa cookies and veggie balls too. Basically, the idea is to replicate the shape of the puff with something a little more substantial. I'm never really sure how much she actually eats but she at least has fun doing it herself.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone!! Knowing other moms are having these issues makes me feel somewhat better :-). My LO is the same way about slimy foods; he can't get his little chunky fingers to grab up the food. I know he wants to eat more solids but its hard finding healthy food that's not too hard or too soft! Oh well, I guess it's trial and error until he masters it.

Thanks for the great ideas! I'm always worried the food will be too solid and he'll choke but I think you've given me some ideas to try out!

We used the practice of baby-led solids for both of our kids, starting at around 6 months for both of them. My son took to it so well and was eating a ton! My daughter took longer to accept food, but we always gave it to her to experiment with. That is the key, remember that before age 1 solid food is secondary to breast milk. Allowing your child to experience it, watch you guys at meal time, and just play around can really set a good ground work for when she is ready to accept it. Just because babies accept spoonfuls of food being placed in their mouths, it doesn't mean they are ready. We loved doing baby led solids and it was beneficial to us as well because we could actually eat our food with both hands free while the baby was eating.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)