Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bottle fed, EBF help please

Default Bottle fed, EBF help please

DD is now 3 months, adjusted age 7 weeks. I'm still pumping for her, still pumping very little using a hospital grade Medela at home and a PISA at work. We have seen IBCLCs, DD had an upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie revised using laser, she's had craniosacral therapy work and this is where I find myself today....Last night I was able to get DD to "latch" (I quote because I know it wasn't a correct latch) and she sucked a few times but then gave up. I am not oblivious to her frustration coming from the rate of flow of milk (she's been bottle fed straight from the get go in NICU) and we've tried just about everything. My question...and please don't recommend KelllyMom, been there...trying to get a pair of "fresh eyes" on this help...any of you ladies have a troubled start with milk production issues and a baby who bottle fed, that were able to EBF or at least provide breast feedings in conjunction with bottles? Also, how do you get a baby to at least "like" the nipple instead of bottles?? Thank you in advance!!

Default Re: Bottle fed, EBF help please

Bump olease

Wow! You two have already been through a lot! Great job pumping so far! I haven't been there done that exactly, but I think it could be worth it to keep trying to nurse if you can. It is great to be able to sooth baby while out and about without carrying around bottles. I find that nursing can be (but is not always) relaxing and intimate like nothing else. I love when ds is nursing and looks up, catches my eye, and smiles at me-nipple still in his mouth, so I have to coax him to latch again, which he can't do while smiling and staring at me. I just say that to share it is worth the effort to try.

Have you tried pumping or hand expressing first so she has immediate reward? Or maybe a nipple shield if that might help her transition?
    Good luck momma!
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

Have you tried making bottle-feeding more like breastfeeding? When it's time to use a bottle, you open your shirt and cuddle her close to the bare breast. You tickle her lips with the bottle nipple until she opens wide. You use the slowest flow nipple you can find, and maybe one of those bottles which is closer in shape to the breast. Finally, you pause the feeding frequently to get baby used to the fact that the breast doesn't deliver a constant, unvarying flow of milk. All those steps are supposed to help baby get used to breastfeeding, even while she is being bottle-fed.

Another thing that sometimes helps is sleeping with baby or nursing in a warm bath. Babies tend to be a little less choosy about where their milk comes from if they are sleepy or very relaxed.

The "finish at the breast" technique might also help, if you can keep on getting her to latch. Instead of trying to latch her on when she's hungry and feisty, give her a small bottle (1-2 oz), and then try latching her on when her hunger is somewhat soothed but her need to suck for comfort remains. If she latches on, awesome- let her remain at the breast for unlimited comfort nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mandykane View Post
    DD is now 3 months, adjusted age 7 weeks. I'm still pumping for her, still pumping very little using a hospital grade Medela at home and a PISA at work. We have seen IBCLCs, DD had an upper lip tie and posterior tongue tie revised using laser, she's had craniosacral therapy work and this is where I find myself today....Last night I was able to get DD to "latch" (I quote because I know it wasn't a correct latch) and she sucked a few times but then gave up. I am not oblivious to her frustration coming from the rate of flow of milk (she's been bottle fed straight from the get go in NICU) and we've tried just about everything. My question...and please don't recommend KelllyMom, been there...trying to get a pair of "fresh eyes" on this help...any of you ladies have a troubled start with milk production issues and a baby who bottle fed, that were able to EBF or at least provide breast feedings in conjunction with bottles? Also, how do you get a baby to at least "like" the nipple instead of bottles?? Thank you in advance!!
    I'm so sorry you're struggling. I just wanted to say I drag my hospital grade Medela Symphony to and from work every day (and to my client's office as well) because I get virtually nothing from my PISA. Been doing this since Nov and white I hate lugging it around (add laptop bag,lunch, cooler case for milk and I'm quite the bag lady - I don't even bother with a purse) it does ensure I get enough for workday bottle feedings.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12