Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I be pumping?

Default Should I be pumping?

Hi everyone, I have an 11 day old who all of a sudden is SUPER gassy, pulling off breast, making clicking noise, etc. After reading all these posts, sounds like oversupply/overactive letdown....I've been changing up the position I feed her, feeding from one side per feeding, my problem is that I am not sure whether I should pump or not - I need to eventually have a supply stored up as I will have to be away from her eventually, but at the same time I'm reading this can make the problem worse. Plus I'm super uncomfortable because I'm so full....any suggestions? Like I said, eventually i DO have to pump, but don't want to make this worse right now! Thanks.

Default Re: Should I be pumping?

Eventually you'll need to pump, but you definitely don't want to be doing it now! Every time you remove milk from the breast, that tells your body to make the same amount all over again, and that's going to perpetuate the oversupply, or maybe even make it worse.

You just started to do one-sided feedings, and you need to give them time to work. The more you put up with the fullness, the faster your supply is going to decrease to a more reasonable level. Give this a couple more weeks, then revisit the pumping issue. Meanwhile, watch yourself carefully for signs of plugged ducts (hard, sometimes tender lumps in the breast) and mastitis (an infection of the breast), since those issues tend to spring up when mom is in overproduction mode. Also, go braless as much as possible (oversupply can make your bra fit poorly and a poor fit can contribute to plugs), get plenty of rest, put cold, clean cabbage leaves or cool compresses on your breast(s) to relieve discomfort from engorgement/fullness, nurse the baby frequently (small, frequent feedings can mean less discomfort), and watch baby's diaper output pretty carefully.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with mommal. Also, just know you can offer to nurse very frequently. Unlike pumping, nursing frequently can help with the overfulness and forceful letdown without making matters worse by increasing supply.

If you are feeling way too full and/or, getting the plugs, and baby will not nurse, you can try hand expressing a little milk as needed to relieve the 'pressure.' If you want, hand express into a bowl so you can save the milk, just as you would pumped milk.
    hand expression: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

thanks ladies! what's weird is i didn't have this problem with y first! i'm hoping this evens out sooner than later!!

I think it is pretty typical for milk production to be 'better' with each baby. Which of course can mean overproduction if you tend in tht direction! Also every baby is different in how they handle over production and fast flow.

Certainly with my third I had worse overproduction issues than with my two oldest. Had issues much earlier on, as well.