Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Consistency of thawed milk

Default Consistency of thawed milk

Recently trying to reintroduce the bottle in anticipation of my less-than-triumphant return to the workforce. I used milk from the freezer and I noticed it looked a little different than fresh milk. It seemed to have little grainy particles in it that would cling to the side of the bottle. I assumed it was fat and that frozen milk just did that. But the last bottle I made looked more like fresh milk without the chalky looking particles.

I was wondering if I'm handling it wrong. I usually freeze it immediately. Should I cool it first? Then I thawed in warm water. Could the water be too hot? Perhaps my freezer is not cold enough?

I am concerned is because she has not really seemed to care for taking a bottle now at 5.5 months even though she took them well before. Back then it was always fresh milk. I attributed this to her being older and able to go longer between feedings in my absence. The separations were never very long and caregivers reported that she only played with the bottle but never really drank much out of them. Now I'm worried that the milk isn't freezing well and she was refusing it. None of the milk was more than 3 months old and there was no discernible smell to it.

Default Re: Consistency of thawed milk

Thawed milk can have the consistency you describe. It's not homogenized. Usually if you swirl it around after warming it for long enough it will start to look more uniform, but I think it's more of an aesthetic thing. It's fine to freeze the milk immediately. One question I have though is whether there might be a lipase issue? Is the milk soapy tasting?

When I swirled it it went back together but would not stay together.
    I only put a drop on my tongue to taste it, so that might not have been enough to detect lipase. Sometimes I noticed it smelled different but not what I would describe as soapy. "More milky" smelling, if that makes any sense. Probably just a normal variation. I don't know. I don't have and don't plan to have a huge amount frozen at a time so it's not a big loss if she won't take it. I just don't want her to be hungry when I start leaving her for the whole day or drink something that has gone bad.

Sometimes the freezer bags can give the milk a smell. She won't drink it if it's bad, so I don't think you need to worry about that.