Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: easy (I think! question) about power pumping

Default easy (I think! question) about power pumping

Hi, I am nearly 6 months post partum and pump and nurse and supplement with formula. I have to pump a minimum of 30 mins and if I go longer i.e. 40 mins to an hour, get another let down. I do struggle to maintain supply. A really good day for me is 20 oz and sometimes I only get 1/2 that. Lately LO will only nurse in the early am upon rising. Sometimes I have to get ready for work before she awakes, So the amount I pump is pretty close to my production.
    I wonder if there is anything magical about power pumping for an hour vs. constant pumping for an hour. Other than the off/on suction stimulation, which you can adjust and restart on the PIS pump, are there any benefits to the 10 min on 10 mons off? Would this help increase my milk more than long pumping sessions? thanks

Default Re: easy (I think! question) about power pumping

I don't think there's anything magical about the 10 minute breaks in a power pumping session, but I don't think anyone has ever studied it rigorously. I mean, hypothetically the body might "read" an hour-long feeding as just one feeding, and 3 short sessions as 3 seperate feedings and increase supply based on the number of feeding events... But that could be completely false! The only way to know other than a great big randomized controlled prospective study is to try it yourself and see if you get better results one way or the other.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I see, thanks. By the way, I accidently posted the question twice. Sorry!

I'm not sure if it's better than an hr straight but it might at least be more comfortable. I power pumped 12 min on, 12 off for an hr and the one day I didn't do it, I got 4 oz less milk for the day, which was a big deal since I was virtually EP'ing for my daughter at that point due to a 5 mo long nursing strike. Needless to say, I didn't skip another power pump session for the next few mos!!
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

I tried it in the car this past weekend and got close to 5 oz when I usually get 2-3. I did 10 min on left, then right, etc.
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support