Re: Frustrated 8 wk old
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby! It sounds like you're doing really well, if some evening fussiness is the worst problem you're having. . And I do think that evening fussiness is what is going on- your baby is just the right age for it and her behavior is kind of classic.
If the issue is simply fussy evenings (a.k.a. evenings-only colic or the witching hour(s)), then the issue is likely developmental and has absolutely nothing to do with breast fullness or the ease of getting a letdown. Please don't worry about misreading a very confusing set of cues, or about trying to feed the baby when she may not be hungry. Nursing is a great way to deal with a cranky baby, and if it works, YAY! If not, here are some other tricks you can try:
- White noise- radio static, vacuum cleaner or dryer sounds, the sound of your heartbeat and breathing
- Calm house- keep the lights, TV, and stereo down or off
- Motion- rock in a rocking chair, put baby in a swing, cuddle her in a sling and take her for a walk, put her in a stroller and take her for a ride, etc.
- Wear baby in a sling or cuddle her skin-to-skin
- Take baby outside for some fresh air
- Give her a warm bath
Coping with this fussy stage is all about changing the baby's sensory input and distracting her from her fussiness. It's rare that any of the above tricks will last for more than a few minutes. But your baby will grow out of this, I promise!
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"