Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spitting up/Vomiting any ideas or help?

Default Re: Spitting up/Vomiting any ideas or help?

Hey, she is 8 weeks tomorrow and we have been dealing with colic issues from the start and I'd think it was that still if not for the vomiting and desperate eating combined with red faced screaming just being a recent problem. Or can that all be colic/gas issues causing this as well?

Colic typically starts at around 3 weeks of age, peaks in the 6-12 week age range, and wanes and is gone by 6 months. So your LO would be the right age for peak colic.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

But does a colic peak include throwing up badly a lot? I thought it was just the gas pains?

Technically, colic is UNEXPLAINED crying/symptoms of distress (e.g. moaning, cramping) in an otherwise healthy infant, lasting for 3 or more hours per day, 3 or more days per week. No-one is quite sure why it occurs. A recent study linked it to migraine headache. Past studies have used imaging to look for gas in the gut, and found that colicky babies are no more likely than non-colicky babies to have lots of intestinal air.

I don't know that lots of spit-up is technically likely to be associated with colicky crying. But IMO there's a tendency for docs to ascribe crying that is associated with spit-up to reflux rather than colic, even though the root cause of the crying may be the same for a spitting baby and a non-spitting baby.

That's all sort of academic, I guess. What really matter is what you can DO about colic, if this is colic. Some things to try:
    - Calm house. Keep the lights, TV, and stereo turned down, or preferably off.
    - White noise. Radio static, noise machines, vacuum cleaner or dryer sounds, road noise, the sound of your heartbeat and breathing when baby is cuddled close to you.
    - Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse. Breastfed babies are less likely to have colic than formula-fed babies, and it's hard for a baby to scream when there's a breast in her mouth.
    - Swaddle.
    - Motion. Walk around with baby in a sling, put her in a swing, take her for a stroller ride, rock in a rocker.
    - Closeness. Wear baby in a sling, or cuddle her close to your chest.
    - Take baby outside into the fresh air.
    - Give baby a warm bath.

The nice thing about the above tips is that they are all completely harmless. Even if your baby's upset isn't explained by colic, these tricks may help distract her from her discomfort. They're all about changing the baby's sensory input, and distracting her from whatever is making her fussy.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree totally on some of that. For this little one though I think it really is gas stuff as the crying is always around pooping and farts even in the morning times, so not just night time crying for this one though sometimes it can be worse at night, or whenever she ends up having more gas that needs to come out. We noticed that often after a long cry she would have a very large explosive bowel movement and then she would relax. We have been doing most of those things and had felt we were getting everything under control till we starting having the additional problems with the throwing up and crying as well. If it is just a new thing it will suck majorly till its over but at least in that case I could just continue breastfeeding with her and not have to do anything drastic. We are for sure trying this no dairy thing and I hate it already ( I don't like the soy milk at all in Germany and I need milk in my couple of coffees in a day ) but its worth it if it ends up helping her out. We will see how this works this week.

I will have to find out what to do about an oversupply though or letdown as I have always fed on only one boob at a time ( in the beginning she would be on for like 45 minutes sometimes with sleepy feeds and now she is for sure not on longer than 20 minutes at a time, usually more like 10-15 and only the one side) I also use the cradle hold laying back or feed her laying down or football, always with her head higher than her feet. I have pumped manually only a handful of times and none recently. I rubbed a little out the other day from pushing on the side of my breast due to a clogged duct I had gotten. So, I guess if this is the problem for me, it must be pretty extreme and I might need to talk about other steps to help with it.
    I still think this sounds like overproduction and forceful letdwon, which is far, far more common than food sensitivity. The plugs, explosive poop, all of that, fits. Yes it won't hurt anything to give up dairy for a week or 2 to see if that helps, but how easy that would be for you depends on how important dairy is to your diet.

Are you able to read the articles I am linking? Because it is important to get a full picture of what is helpful and what is not wiht overproduction. It is important that if you try block feeding, that you still hand express often enough to avoid engorgememt and plugs. PLEASE let me know if you are unable to follow these links.

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/ and http://cwgenna.com/blockfeeding.html

Cerial has been proven to NOT HELP WITH REFLUX OR ANYTHING ELSE AND IS DANGEROUS IN AN INFANT THIS YOUNG. I don't know about ''tea' but personally I would never give my well gaining baby ANYTHING besides breastmilk.

Do you have a local LLL you can call? Maybe see an IBCLC?

Hey, thanks. I am able to get the links yes and I have opened them all and read them. I was at my after baby back strengthening class done by my midwife and while I was there I also asked her about it. She said the same, no cereal at all and that I might look into a new doctor or go to this orthopedic guy ( not sure what it is called in English ) who does a massage type or correction or help for babies that has gotten some super good reviews with colicky problems. One of the ladies in my class said she went and it did wonders for her little girl. So thinking about that instead of dairy, I keep getting pushed to that by many but then, the same, why would she not have problems like this all the time or earlier, it would be more consistent as I eat lots of dairy products. On the site you sent the symptoms I notice a lot are as follows:
    She gags sometimes
    she sometimes pulls off the breast before she is totally done once or many times
    she spits up and is gassy
    but the other things she doesn't really do or show signs of and she does actually often hang on there half sucking for comfort I assume in the evenings after she has been especially stressed out. So I don;t know. I will have to do some more proper reading through etc when she gives me a little time for it.

Babies/mom are not going to necessarily have all the 'symptoms' of forceful letdown or overproduction. FFLD and OP are not illnesses, and are only a problem if they are a problem. Some moms have forceful letdowns and it does not bother baby a jot, some mothers have overproduction big time and it causes no issues for them. Of course, if it is not causing any problems, then it is not a problem.

So of course not all ‘symptoms’ will show up every time. You have to look at what DOES fit. You have plenty of the ‘symptoms’ that fit, at least for doing all the things for forceful letdown. Because those are totally benign interventions that cause no problems. IN other words, if it’s NOT ffld, nursing frequently, nursing laid back, etc. is not going to hurt anything.

Block feeding, on the other hand, is not benign. It WILL reduce milk production, that is what it is supposed to do! If your baby is gaining at least 8 ounces per week then it is probably OK to do block feeding as well to see if that helps. Start out SLOW, with baby on the same side for no more than two feedings. Pay close attention to how your body is responding. You will be full but watch that you are not so full you are having plug issues. Keep nursing frequently and monitor babies output as well.

Oh and I am in Germany, do they have people here who I could talk to or meet up with? I had not thought about that at all, I know someone in the USA who had a meeting with someone from here.

Oh and I should mention her poop is often light green though occasionally yellow too.