Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spitting up/Vomiting any ideas or help?

Exclamation Spitting up/Vomiting any ideas or help?

So just as we were getting things under control in my house with some gas drops that were really helping tons, my daughter starting getting episodes with lots of spitting up/vomiting. I am not sure which to call it as to me it looks a lot and she seems immediately hungry again so not the harmless spitting up as I imagine it. She is also not being able to sleep well at all in the day when this problem starts up.The first time I went to the doctor with her right away and called the midwife here who is in charge of our first step care in Germany. They both said it must be a stomach big or something and to fee her for only 5 minutes at a time every 30 minutes ( we only breast feed with no bottles or anything ) and that seemed to work and after a day she was her normal self again. Then after about 2 weeks she got the same problem back. This time I only called the midwife and she said sounded like another stomach big which seemed really odd to me so close together but did the day of 5/30 feedings ( even though it kills me and her both to do ) again it was fine the next day but this time is was only fine for a few days until the bad sitting up vomiting started up again and this time I just cant keep doing this 5/30 feed thing as it doesn't seem to be helping anything in the long run. I just keep feeding her when she is hungry and if she spits up we feed again till something stays down or she sleeps ( she never throws up if she falls asleep). I plan to call the doctor again to go in tomorrow but was wondering if anyone has any ideas or help if they have had a similar experience. I am losing my mind and my poor baby keeps being so upset by this all as well. ( I have even started getting clogged milk ducts more often lately ) I welcome any advice or opinions that are helpful and feel free to ask questions if I forgot relevant info.

Default Re: Spitting up/Vomiting any ideas or help?

How old is baby?
    Is baby gaining well?

Have you considered the possibility of forceful letdown and also (maybe) overproduction? Even the feeding frequently 'fixing' the problem would fit with that, imo.

Assuming baby is gaining normally and is not in PAIN (crying in PAIN when/after spitting up or burping, crying in PAIN when laid flat,) spitting up-even spitting up a lot, is really probably not a concern. Most babies spit up and some spit up a TON and it is usually not a concern in any way. However, working on the forceful letdown (if you think that is a possibilty) will probably lead to happyer nursing sessons and less fussy baby overall.

Here is an article about this. I suggest trying everything you like except the block feeding. Block feeding may be appropriate but only if the issue is for sure over production. And it is still important to do the steps that help with forceful letdown as well. http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/

Sorry, she is almost 8 weeks old. I am not sure if she is gaining well, I assume so as was the case the last time she was checked a few weeks back. (I am sure they will check again at our next appointment to see if it has affected it since then )
    Yes I have thought of those things and have been feeding on one side at a time and leaning back/ trying other positions.
    She does cry with the spitting up and is turning red and crying/screaming right now so I don't know but based on her reactions it doesn't seem at all like this is normal spitting up. She is usually almost inconsolable when this is going on and is almost never awake without crying badly. If she were not crying so badly and acting so hungry at the end of the day when she has been spitting up a lot I wouldn't worry so much. I could care less about stains or spit clothes but how she is acting is really worrying me and nothing like what I am used to her usually from the last 8ish weeks of her life ( only when this spitting up is happening ) I am used to some fussy periods but nothing close to this bad or often.
    Thanks for the article I will look into it and give it a read over and also ask my doctor. Planning to ask about over supply, overactive letdown, thrush, allergies or anything else but not sure how they go about diagnosing it and so wanted to get any more ideas i could before then.

I have noticed her gulping and she does sometimes cry and pull away only to latch desperately to the nipple again. I have tried all those holds and I am not sure when my letdown happens in the breast she is eating on or if she is getting too much air. I do not usually pump or express but have been thinking about starting it as the 5 minutes feeds every 30 minutes kills us and I have been thinking if I have to do that, it might be easier with expressed or pumped and just using bottles from now, though I'd like to avoid the bottle if we can figure this out. Also could that really be the case if she has days at a time when she seems to do ok, after a day of the 5/30 feeds?

ok first up, You certainly do not have to do 5 minute feeds every 30 minutes!!!! I have never heard such a specific recommendation for 'nurse frequently' and I find it rather odd. It's possible this extreme high frequency of nursing made matters worse overall by increasing your production.

But it will help to nurse your baby frequently, for as long each time as baby likes. ‘Normal’ frequency at this age would be about 8 times a 24 hour day. So instead, you could offer to nurse (or nurse on cue) more about, say, 12 times a day. Or whatever works for you and baby. The idea is to not let the breast get overfull between feedings as that makes forceful letdown worse. Even if you are block feeding, nurse frequently overall.

With my oldest child we dealt with forceful letdown and painful reflux. So I understand the desire to want to do anything to help your baby feel better.

But I strongly urge you to not pump and give bottles. That is a major intervention that could potentially cause enormous difficulties, so many I cannot list them all.
    It's very simple. If the issue is forceful letdown and overproduction, there are many ways to fix that, as explained in the article.

The other possibility is painful reflux. That can treated many ways, including medication.
    If the midwife is right and it's a stomach virus, then...it's a stomach virus. I doubt it's that but I am not a medical professional.

An outside possibility is a food sensitivity, dairy is the usual culprit.

And any of these things could be happening in some combination.

In no scenario is bottle feeding going to fix the problem!!! IF it is forceful letdown, it might temporarily help. But not fix it. And it would be at a great, great risk. The cure could definitely be worse than the problem, because the cure could result in the end of breastfeeding, a serious medical issue. And it would not really cure anything anyway.

Please tell me if any of this is not making sense to you.

The 5 minute feeds every 30 minute recommendation is, for lack of a better word, weird. And definitely don't do bottles at this point- that's a whole new headache that you just don't need!

Symptoms of oversupply:
    - Baby may feed rapidly, in as little as 5-10 minutes
    - Baby may fuss at the breast
    - Baby may get full from just one breast
    - Baby may "slide up" or "clamp down" on the nipple while nursing
    - Baby may cough, gag, splutter, or produce a click or cluck sound while nursing
    - Baby may pull off the breast while nursing
    - If baby pulls off the breast while a letdown is occurring, mom may see milk squirting or streaming from the breast
    - Mom may feel full or engorged fairly frequently
    - Mom may leak a lot
    - Mom may be able to pump multiple oz of milk with ease, if pumping
    - Baby may gain weight fairly rapidly
    - Baby may produce poops which are frequently or consistently green or greenish
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you all for posting. I am thinking it might be oversupply, not sure about the let down as it doesn't leak or squirt if i express/pump or when she comes off. I often feel the burning tingly feeling throughout the day even when she is not feeding or has just fed recently though I do not ever feel it in a breast she is feeding on. She has still never had a bottle and I still don't really feel too good about going that route anyways (your concerns as well plus cost of all the bottles and mess to clean etc also). I also 0wonder about dairy. I am going to the doctor this morning in about an hour and I plan to walk her through it all and see what she thinks, I will also specifically ask about oversupply/let down and dairy. Her poop is often light green and or explosive and sometimes still the yellow color as well.
    The 5/30 minutes was not specifically prescribed but we were asking what to do and she said feed her for about 5 minutes at a time if that is all she can keep down at once and wait at least 30 minutes to feed again so she has time to let it settle. (this is when she thought it was a stomach bug she caught too ) I think this is for sure not something I will be doing anymore though and even though she has been so upset and spitting up tons still and going red, I have refused to do this as it didn't even help long term the other two times and the problem always just came back. I always feed her on demand as much as she wants, even now if she has spit up 4 times and is hungry I'll just feed again till I find something better ( but stay on the same breast if its still so close to the last feed).
    I will have to find out what to do about an oversupply though or letdown as I have always fed on only one boob at a time ( in the beginning she would be on for like 45 minutes sometimes with sleepy feeds and now she is for sure not on longer than 20 minutes at a time, usually more like 10-15 and only the one side) I also use the cradle hold laying back or feed her laying down or football, always with her head higher than her feet. I have pumped manually only a handful of times and none recently. I rubbed a little out the other day from pushing on the side of my breast due to a clogged duct I had gotten. So, I guess if this is the problem for me, it must be pretty extreme and I might need to talk about other steps to help with it.
    I will write again today and check in and let you know what the doctor said and how that goes, hopefully I start getting taken seriously and we can look into what is really happening and start making some changes that will help her. She is such an amazing baby and deserves the best!

So the doctor conceded that it could be a number of things but seemed to have no idea what or how to tell. She basically said that her weight gain in normal and so we can either deal with it till it goes away, give her this tea they have in Germany for tummy trouble in between feeds plus her gas drops, try cutting out dairy for a week, or add cereal to her breast milk and feed it to her in bottles.

Tea and cereal both would mean I have to use bottles. So basically I can live with it even though it really seems to be terribly hard and upsetting for my daughter or I can try the dairy thing. I am going to try the no dairy diet for a week to see if that helps her at all and then after that, if she is still screaming and turning red in pain...I just have no clue. Not sure how we will get through a week of this as it is not to mention additional weeks after that and I am just so turned off at the idea of giving her anything additional or a bottle but seems I keep getting pushed to that even if not exclusively.

Tea and cereal are not recommended in the US. Especially cereal, because cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard. And also, to my knowledge, it has not been shown to work.

I think the dairy elimination diet is worth a try. If it doesn't help, well, then you've eliminated one possibility. How old is your baby? I have to wonder if this is colic.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"