Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: when to introduce a bottle

Default when to introduce a bottle

Just a quick question,
    I have a two week old baby girl have been exclusively breastfeeding I am really pleased with how everything is going and enjoying watching her grow and knowing its all down to me.
    Im starting to get worried as when she is 6 weeks old I will have to be away from her for24 hours
    and this is unavoidable. I want to try not to disrupt things as much as possible, my mum will be
    looking after her and is happy to feed her however I choose. I want to avoid nipple confusion if
    I can,
    Thanks in advance for any advise

Should I use a syringe cup or bottle?
    when should introduce it to get her used to it?

Default Re: when to introduce a bottle

Hi mama, if everything is going well, and it sounds like it is, then it is usually safe to introduce a bottle at 4-6 weeks - by then your breastfeeding relationship is well-established so you are not likely to run into problems with nipple confusion.

Will you be leaving your mother expressed breastmilk? If so, pumping once a day, usually in the morning when there's the most milk, can help build your freezer stash. You'll need about 30 ounces. When you introduce the bottle, one way to do it is to pump instead of a feeding, hand your mother the freshly expressed milk, and have her give it (I always had someone other than me give the bottle). You don't necessarily need to give baby the bottle every day, but perhaps every 2 to 3 leading up to the separation so that baby has experienced it a few times before. I went back to work at 6 weeks with babies 2 and 3 and that's what worked for us. Starting the bottle around 4.5 to 5 weeks, bottle every few days, and by 6 weeks they did great with the bottle.

When your mother is feeding LO, a normal "meal size" (ie bottle size) will be about 2-3 ounces. Here are some suggestions for bottle-feeding the breastfed baby that you can also go over with your mum: http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

This also has links to cup feeding if you'd like to explore that as well.

and I encourage you and your mom to consider cup feeding. We all have a huge mental block about it due to only seeing babies bottle fed, but it can work quite well. Also, you will have to pump regularly while away from baby, for your own health even if you would not need the expressed milk for baby.

I'm planning to return to work part-time soon and wanted to get him used to bottles, so I introduced the occasional bottle to my son at 7 weeks. He didn't like it at first, but now he tolerates it...as long as I'm not the one giving it to him

We use the Avent bottles as their nipples cause the least problems for us.
    Mom again at 40...who'd have thought it?
    Big brother born in 2004, little brother born in 2013

Thanks for the advise,
    I was worried about confusing her with bf going so well this time with my first born I only lasted a couple of days.wish I would have known about this
    site first time around
    Will def look into cup feeding as its only a one off occasion.
    Thanks for the advise about avent bottles I will buy one in in case my mum struggles with cup feeding.