Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not really nursing much....

Default Baby not really nursing much....

My 7 month old dd is not nursing well. This has been going on for almost a week. Last Friday she had a fever (about 38.2, sorry didn't do the conversion to Fahrenheit). And it finally went away Sunday ( we gave her Tylenol/Advil because it kept coming back.). She had no other symptoms of illness and on Sunday I realized she had a tooth coming in. But...she hardly will nurse and when she does its for like a minute or arches her back, fusses or bits me. I can't even seem to get in a decent feed at nap time anymore. At night if left in her crib she wakes frequently, I latch her and she nurses for a min or two, before even a letdown and stops and is out again. I put her back down and she's up maybe 20 mins later. If I bring her into bed, she latches, sucks a tiny bit and crashes and wakes minimally the rest of the night.
    I'm starting to worry because even her night diaper isn't getting as wet as it was and she's not wetting hardly any diapers during the day either-but she's pooping.....
    I know she's become more distracted lately and I've tried the quiet dark room, lying down to nurse, different positions, teething gel (hylands), Tylenol but nothing seems to help and we are almost a week of this. I had to start pumping because I was getting clogged ducts and my worried my flow will decrease. She gets solids twice a day and I mix bm in with her cereal.
    could she be weaning!? She used to love nursing. She wanted to have my boob in her mouth the whole night if I let her. I'm at a loss and started to worry....one more thing. She seems to be congested and this has been a few weeks now....
    Last edited by @llli*bonniefleming; May 10th, 2013 at 06:01 PM.

Default Re: Baby not really nursing much....

Under a year, most people would call what you're going through a nursing strike. Tips on dealing with them here: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi mama, congestion, fever and refusing to nurse make me think that she could have an ear infection leading to her nursing strike. Perhaps consider taking her into the pediatrician/GP if things don't get better.

Have been to Kellymom website many many times.....and have read and reread the nursing strike articles/links. Also, she hasn't had a fever since last Sunday and no ear pulling and is in generally very good spirits.

Yeah, it's just a thought. My son had a lot of ear infections and didn't always have fever or pull his ears - in fact one time I took him in for a routine checkup and it turned out he had an infection which I was not even suspecting! It just sounds like there's something that makes her stop nursing as soon as she gets started which is why I thought of it - like there is something about actually sucking that is making her uncomfortable/unhappy.