Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pain when breastfeeding 9 mnth old

Default Pain when breastfeeding 9 mnth old

Recently started having burning pain during nursing....and my nipples are swollen and red. One hurts much more than the other. I went to Dr and didnt get much info. At first she said it ddnt look like infection...just red and inflammed frm him teething. I dont feel like this is frm teething. its a diff kind of pain. I was later told I can take antibiotics and pump for a few days. since im allergic to penacillin i have to take other kind not safe for baby at all antibiotics. I REALLY dont want to do that. Dr even mentioned that baby is 9 mnths and can take formula or soy milk and I can start weaning!! that is not what i came in for. Is it an infection??? can it possibly clear up and go away on its own?? Baby has no signs of thrush. any info you ladies have wld be much appreciated!!

Default Re: Pain when breastfeeding 9 mnth old

New, burning pain after nursing has been going well is a pretty good sign of thrush in the mother. Babies do not have to actively show symptoms, but would still need to have some kind of treatment. I had some success with using diluted grapefruit seed extract on my nipples several times a day, and swabbed in my baby's mouth. I also used topical canesten cream (over the counter), and coconut oil felt really good and is said to have some antifungal properties. I eventually needed oral diflucan from my doctor, but hopefully if you catch it before it goes deep into the breast you can treat it yourself. Dr. Newman has a great candida protocol http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP as does Dr. Jay Gordon http://drjaygordon.com/breastfeeding/thrush.html

Good luck mama, thrush is no fun

Thank you so much for your reply!! I am going to go search for those things right away. Since it is the weekend I cant make an appt. Baby now has white spots on inside of lips and his tongue looks raw and irritated. Poor baby!! not to mention bfing is sooo painful. Thanks again!

oh yeah that really sounds like thrush! Take a good look at those protocols. You may have to fight to get proper treatment as your doctor sounds NOT so breastfeeding supportive.

btw, as an aside- are you SURE the antibiotics you would need if you did have a bacterial infection are unsafe when nursing? I suggest always check with these guys before ever pumping and dumping due to taking meds. www.infantrisk.org