Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: should i still be bf 8 times/day @ 11 m?

Default should i still be bf 8 times/day @ 11 m?

So despite breast constriction, perpetual low supply, tongue tie, poor suck, & not getting good advice until I got onto this forum I have made it to 11 months with the help of a donor mom and prayer. Things are pretty easy going as opposed to how frantic and stressed they were in the beginning-I even kept a log book of all times of feeds and pumped 14 times a day as well as fed with an sns 8-10 times a day. My whole life was centered on my underperforming boobs...ugh so glad I'm not there anymore. So to get to the point, I currently nurse my son about 8-9 times a day and with supplementation I think he is getting about 25oz a day as well as 2 meals of mostly fruits, grains and veggies with some yogurt... I am giving him small lunches now too (about 1&1/2-2oz of food). I talked to all my sisters who breastfeed almost to two years each of their kids and they seemed to be cutting back on the nursing at this point to 4-6 times a day with no night feedings at all. They seemed to be more interested in getting their lives back to the way they liked it so I don't know if they adjusted their nursing to do that and if the solids were more convenient. I'm. Pretty sure that qualifies as weaning though. I wanted to know if I need to be giving my son the amount of milk I am...if I can cut back on supplementation or if I need to feed him more or less. If I cut back on the amount of milk, wont he need other fluids? I am really opposed to juices and pasturized cows milk...would water and fruit smoothies suffice? I would still be nursing with higher frequency since my supply is succeptable to drying up if I skip feeds or space them further apart....I would just adjust the supplementation amounts if need be. My son is 22&1/2 lbs currently and very long.
    Last edited by @llli*diymom; May 10th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: should i still be bf 8 times/day @ 11 m?

Until a year, breastmilk is supposed to make up the majority of a baby's diet. 25 oz a day might be a little higher than absolutely necessary for breastmilk to be your child's majority source of nutrition, but I think it's not that far off. I personally would continue to nurse 8x per day until a year, and beyond that if both you and baby are willing. There's no reason why you should be cutting back on nursing unless you are eager to wean.

Around a year, you can probably start phasing out the donor milk supplements and just nurse. However, you do want to pay careful attention to your child's diet at that point, since "dairy" is an important part of a toddler's diet. The requirement isn't for dairy per se, but rather for calcium and protein. Like it or not, whole cow's milk is usually the easiest way to meet a child's dairy requirement when mom isn't able to meet it herself via nursing. But you can meet the dairy requirement in other ways, for example by offering whole milk yogurt or cheese. You can even do it without using any cow's milk products at all- but it takes a lot more effort to get the right proportions of fat and calcium into a picky toddler's diet- and lots of toddlers are quite picky!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Until a year, breastmilk is supposed to make up the majority of a baby's diet. 25 oz a day might be a little higher than absolutely necessary for breastmilk to be your child's majority source of nutrition, but I think it's not that far off. I personally would continue to nurse 8x per day until a year, and beyond that if both you and baby are willing. There's no reason why you should be cutting back on nursing unless you are eager to wean.

Around a year, you can probably start phasing out the donor milk supplements and just nurse. However, you do want to pay careful attention to your child's diet at that point, since "dairy" is an important part of a toddler's diet. The requirement isn't for dairy per se, but rather for calcium and protein. Like it or not, whole cow's milk is usually the easiest way to meet a child's dairy requirement when mom isn't able to meet it herself via nursing. But you can meet the dairy requirement in other ways, for example by offering whole milk yogurt or cheese. You can even do it without using any cow's milk products at all- but it takes a lot more effort to get the right proportions of fat and calcium into a picky toddler's diet- and lots of toddlers are quite picky!
    My son is far from picky...he is actually eating a slice of red onion from my sandwitch right now....I just thought I'd see what he would do with it...he likes it. Anyway, I am going to use dairy...just not cow dairy...I have access to fresh goatsmilk and he seems fine with it when I have offered. I make homemade yogurt from it so he gets plenty of calcium. I am becoming a bit of a health nut so he gets all sorts of nutriment packed dessert type breads made with hemp seed, flax, gluten free flours, molasses, with lots of fruits and mashed sweet potato thrown in...

I thought I was supposed to be nursing him to the tune of 25-30 oz a day until he was a year. To think I've been stressing about the 25 oz /day. Do I need to give him additional fluids if the amount of breastmilk isn't necessary?
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Brace yourself for your I-will-try-anything baby to turn into a I-eat-only-a-few-safe-foods toddler. Not saying it WILL happen, just that it often DOES! It's self-protective- toddlers are so much more mobile and independent than babies that they can't be as indiscriminate about what they put into their mouths. Otherwise they'd poison themselves in a hurry.

You can't go wrong aiming for 25-30 oz of milk until a year. But at 11 months, it's really okay to drop down a bit. You kind of have to decide where your comfort zone lies, when it comes to interpreting the word "majority"!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"