Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Started to wean and now have a plugged duct

Default Started to wean and now have a plugged duct

My son is just over 12 months. Before his birthday we were down to 3 feedings a day and have now been on 2 nursings (morning and night) and day for about 2 weeks. I now have a plugged duct. I used to get them frequently when he was only a few months old and also had mastitis once. But I had no problems when we went from 4 feedings to 3 and also haven't had any problems until now with the 2 feedings. I don't want to nurse him more because I don't want my supply to go up but this was always how I worked out the plugs before, along with massage and warm compress. Any ideas?

Default Re: Started to wean and now have a plugged duct

Anytime you have engorgement you are risking plugged ducts. But other things also contribute. Pressure on the breast can lead to blockages aswell. For me, I could not wear underwire bras. Some women cannot carry a heavy over the shoulder bag. Some moms have to wrap their baby differently to eliminate pressure on the breast. I would suggest continuing all of the massage, warm compress, point the water in the shower directly at the blockage and massage. If you are still nursing twice a day start in the affected side and try dangle nursing or pointing his chin at the blockage.
    Hope this helps and good luck!
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Default Re: Started to wean and now have a plugged duct

You may notice that going from three to two sessions led to this because you had a long gap between sessions. To prevent this happening again you could try pumping just a little bit in the afternoon to avoid engorgement.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)