Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is oatmeal evil?

Default Is oatmeal evil?

Old fashioned oatmeal is my favorite winter breakfast. I read in a couple of other posts that oatmeal can increase supply and recently I have been ENGORGED in the mornings and sometimes inbetween feedings as well. I think these symptoms may have begun when I started having oatmeal for breakfast every day. Is this possible? Will I have to give up my morning treat? I really like a warm start to the day...
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Default Re: Is oatmeal evil?

One of the reasons why oatmeal is believed to help some mamas because it high in iron. This should only impact women who have inadequate iron in their diets. So, in other words I don't think it would encourage an oversupply.

Is it evil? Perhaps. But it is delicious and warm in the tummy.

Haha, I don't have any info for you, I'm sorry, but your thread title made me laugh.

Have you tried cream of wheat? It's warm and filling and maybe wont get you that uncomfortable.

I definately noticed a difference back when I was trying to increase my supply and started eating oatmeal every day. Oatmeal is listed in many places as a natural galactogogue, but I am not sure exactly what makes it so.
    So, yes, for an oversupply, I would say oatmeal might just be evil

I Eat Oatmeal Daily And Have No Problems.

Update.. I ran out of oatmeal for a week. And didn't have to get up to pump in the mornings! But I am back to oatmeal and back to waking up for the early morning pumping. But that's okay, I am a milk donor so that's a good time to get the milk for them. I guess oatmeal would work for me if I ever have low supply and that's good to know!
    I am still lovin' the oatmeal!!
    Andrea