Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plugged duct?

Default Plugged duct?

I began working this week and wrk 12 hr shifts in an ER so I try to pump at least every four hours and when im home i exclusively breast feed. ive started having horrible shooting pains on my right breast and i have tried everything from warm compresses to taking lethicin supplement but the pain is still there on / off and breast feeding is painful. i also have a small cut on my nipple could the pain be from that and not necessarily a plugged duct?

Default Re: Plugged duct?

Welcome to the forum!

Shooting pains in the breast, particularly when they occur in between feedings, make me think of 2 things: bacterial infection and thrush. Some questions for you:
    - Did you ever notice a blister on the skin of the nipple? See http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipplebleb/
    - What does the crack look like- is it a little hole, is it a slit-like crack, or is it a large wound that gapes larger after nursing or pumping?
    - Have you noticed any symptoms of mastitis (fever, chills, aches and pains, malaise, red streaks or patches on the skin of the breast)?
    - Have you recently had a yeast infection or a course of antibiotics?
    - Any changes to the skin of your breast, including nipples which appear more red/pink/shiny than normal, skin appearing very dry, cracked, flaking, or peeling?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"