Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problems feeding my 10 week old baby

Unhappy problems feeding my 10 week old baby

Hi,

I have a 10 week old baby and have been breastfeeding from the start, since round 7 weeks she seems to be a lot fussier feeding - she takes some feed then comes off, i burp her and try and latch her back on, she latches on takes one suck then pulls off and makes a little cry, if i put her back on she pulls off after a suck and cries again. if i swap to the other breast she sometimes will take a feed from that side or do the same one suck then cry. If I dont offer again she calms down but sucks her fingers. the way she goes to latch on and the finger sucking makes me think she is still hungry esp as she may only have been feeding for a few mins. Anyone any idea what could be going on? It happens about half the times i feed, if i wait a while she may take a proper feed but quite often at this point she has become overtired. i've found it very stressful and been close to calling breastfeeding a day (although it would break my heart to do that)

Default Re: problems feeding my 10 week old baby

Welcome to the forum!

Some questions for you:
    - How has baby's weight gain been thus far? (Birth weight, lowest weight, weight at each checkup.)
    - When does the fussiness strike- is it more intense at certain times of the day?
    - How does nursing feel?
    - Do you frequently feel full or engorged?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My 12 week old went through a period that she only wanted to nurse for a few minutes. I would say 4-5mins. But she was still having wet diapers and wasnt losing weight So i let it be. she was just efficient at that breast. She has since picked back up nursing for 10-15 mins. But she always like to suck on her fingers. She may just want to suck but not eat. I know a very chunky baby that only eats for 6 mins every 3 hours. Every baby is different. I also found that when my baby was overtired and not wanting or needing to eat that she had to "accidentlly" fall asleep or she would just be over tired and cry. So i had to walk her around or moby wrap her so she could think she is exploring and "accidentally" fall asleep.

Weight gain has been good, wet nappies also fine, breasts will still feel full until I can get her feeding again and then they empty fine. It can happen anytime during the day, during the night it doesnt happen when she is sleepy and it can be really bad when she is overtired.

Strangly since I posted this a few moments ago I have an idea what it could be - My let down is pretty fast and she gets the milk easily - if a bit too fast so then she comes off and I have to burp her, when she goes back on I think she instantly wants the fast flow back.

I just tried expressing a little into her mouth so she got milk instantly and then when she latched on, used breast compression until I had a let down again and it seemed to work! This has been going on for weeks and I have been back and forth to the dr's and breastfeeding clinic thinking it was wind or poor latch (wind is a lot better now with new meds and was told the latch was fine.) Could this be what the problem is - impatience for the let down after I have burped her? She gets upset when i burp her too - I have to put her dummy in sometimes otherwise there is a lot of crying.

Oh one thing about her latching on is she quite often pulls off a little so she isn't latched on, when she is fussy I can't get her to stay latched on properly, she keeps pulling off a bit and starts crying if I try and put her back on properly. Is there anything I can do about this?

randiocoy - funny I have ordered a moby wrap today because of the sleeping issues I have and it's arriving tomorrow!- I have been stuck in the house most of the time for the last few weeks so that she can have a sleep on me (only way I could get her to sleep longer than 30 mins during the day!) She doesn't fall asleep in the pram going walking and if we go in the car with her she wakes up as soon as we get her out - I may be able to leave the house again at last (fingers crossed it sends her to sleep!).

I really appreciate those quick responses!

Thanks for answering those questions! My hunch was that this was probably a flow speed preference issue- and it sounds like you have the same feeling! Often babies act fussy when the milk comes out a little too fast, or a little too slow. They're like Goldilocks: they want everything to be "just right". Best thing you can do in that situation is to power through the fussiness, and let the baby figure out how to control flow speed. If she wants the milk to come faster, she has to suck until she generates a faster flow. If she wants it to slow down, she has to slow down her nursing and maybe break suction or pop off the breast. Often moms get into a cycle where they try to make things easier for their babies by using a bottle, or pumping so that they have increased milk and faster flow- but I really feel that the frustration is a learning opportunity for the baby. If you try to make the flow perfect for her, how will she ever learn to control it when it isn't perfect?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I tried again this morning as she was fussy and expressed a little on her tongue, she obviously wanted the milk and latched on again but cried instantly when sucking even though I was compressing - its in less than a second she starts crying after burping her. I don't think its my flow being too fast as she loves the initial let-down but comes of after a few mins. I just think she might be used to the fast flow at the beginning and cant wait for a second let down, she gets really stressed out but tries again and again. obvioulsy let down isnt immediate. I have had to abandon feeds at times especially if she is tired but then its a vicious circle because she wakes up sooner because she is hungry.

Is there a away of making let down happen sooner? Quite often if I put her on the other breast she will be ok waiting for the first let down on new boob for some reason?

Switch nursing is your friend! When my LO was the same age as yours, she would often fuss while waiting on a second letdown! So when flow slowed (or stopped), I switched baby to the other side. Back and forth, and back and forth, until she got her fill. It really helped me out a lot, and baby was much happier, too.

Hi kt.mum I think you have gotten some great suggestions here from all the pps. and based on your last post, it sounds as if maybe your baby simply is done on one side and wants the other side. (or maybe, is just done.)That is totally fine.
    I have to admit I am still not sure what the problem is and why it is severe enough to consider not breastfeeding when you otherwise wish to continue? It sounds as if breastfeeding was problem free until 7 weeks, and then these issues started?
    Is there any reason (besides baby’s behavior) to think you that your milk production or letdown is more or less, faster or slower, than it was 4 weeks ago? Was baby introduced to bottles, a pacifier, anything like that which would change the expectations baby has at the breast regarding flow?

What the issue initially sounded the most like, to me, is a too FAST flow. But since your baby nurses fine half the time, and also is happy with the flow at initial letdown, that erases that idea. A too slow flow seems unlikely, because typically it is the initial letdown which would possibly take 'too long.' After that, milk is flowing as long as baby is nursing. (Although of course the rate of flow ebbs and flows during a nursing session.) But it would make sense for baby to be happy switching to the other side in that case, because letdown happens in both breasts simultaneously. In other words, once baby is finished on one side, there is milk waiting for baby on the 'other side,' so getting a strong flow of milk will happen quickly.

But I also wonder if normal nursing pattern changes are alarming you. You have said that your baby cannot get a "proper feed" - I wonder if the issue may perhaps be that you are expecting all baby's nursing sessions to be of about the same length, spaced more or less evenly apart? Many times, mothers are told to "nurse every 2-3 hours" or to "nurse for at least 10 minutes per side" or something similar, leading to this notion. Yet none of that is normal or needed, and in fact worrying about keeping baby to some type of pattern can cause all kinds of issues. As long as baby nurses frequently enough overall, (8 or more times a 24 hour day would be typical at this age) and is gaining well, none of the rest matters.
    Just as sometimes a hungry adult will want an apple, and other times a sandwich, and other times an entree, sides AND dessert, and will normally eat meals at varying intervals, we now know that a healthy, normally growing baby needs to nurse for as long as baby wants to nurse, as often as baby wants to nurse. Not more, and not less. Some babies snack. Some babies nurse very frequently. Some babies love to fall asleep at the breast and keep nursing away for an hour, others do not. I think most babies do some combination of these behaviors. And it certainly changes as baby grows. A two month old may be able to nurse much more efficiently than a one month old.

At the same time, milk production adjusts, and a baby who may have been a confirmed 'one sider' may start wanting both sides-or even to switch back and fourth a few times during a session-All normal.

Thank you for your reply. I sometimes have felt like giving up because my lo would get so upset feeding very often and its felt like it is stressing me and her out. Sometimes she is only on for 2 mins at the most then starts crying. I have found her routing for my nipple,put her on one suck then pulls off crying. I assumed she was having problems feeding but have found that if this happens I give her a dummy and hold her close she just falls asleep pretty much straight away.(she doesn't sleep easily so I have found this quite strange). In these cases even though she is routing and latching on is she trying to comfort suck but then not happy about the milk coming through?

Last night I was putting her to bed and she did this when I tried to feed her and I felt it was the final straw and gave some formula in a bottle, she took around an oz and then refused that too and fell asleep - so I am guessing she just isn't hungry when that happens. Or sleep is more needed than feeding? She slept for half hour woke up and then took a full feed. She used to comfort suck a lot and be on me for an hour and a half for each feed so I've not been used to this change in behaviour. Until recently if I ever offered the breast she would take it.

The only thing that may have changed in the last 4 weeks is her difficulty in sleeping during the day. So maybe this could all be linked to her becoming overtired?

I haven't had her weighed this week but will early next week to see how her weight is, I get her weighed every other week as I know they can have weeks they put on more/less weight - hopefully that will put my mind at ease.

sorry one more thing, how would a pacifier change her expectations to the flow? could this be why she is expecting no milk to come when she sucks for comfort? We introduced it very early on as I would feed her past midnight and she would still want more so introduced it when I needed a break. It didn't affect her latch or feeding at the time. It feels like my let down has got a much faster flow than it had previously. I had one breast bigger than the other so I looked on kelly mom and it suggested starting two feeds in a row from the smaller side every so often - This seemed to work in terms of the size of them but I think it has given the side that was smaller much faster flow. I would have left it well alone if I thought it could cause these problems.