Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: my solids glutton

Default my solids glutton

So my son is 11 months next week. He gets two meals a day; the first after nursing in the morning and the second in the evening when my husband and I have dinner. I limit his food to about 3 oz since he is quite a pig and would eat until engorged... I let him eat on his own mostly fruits, veggies, homemade bread, and I spoon feed a little homemade yogurt in the morning. He doesn't get any other fluids on a regular basis, just a couple spoonfulls of water at a restaurant or some fruit smoothie if i am havig one. He always clears his tray nomatter what i give him. He has started begging for food when I eat lunch or when my husband has food and its not dinner. We gave him a taste of this or that to begin with and now he just hangs out as close as he can get gesturing and entreating us to give him more.

Should I add a lunch or snack to his day? I don't have any interference with my supply (I have breast constriction /hypoplasia so I only make so much and when he has drained both sides I attach a sns with my donor mom's milk to the tune of 24 oz a day of breastmilk total) since it is low and he nurses before and after eating no problem. Do I just have a little glutton on my hands or what? I intend to nurse him until around 2, +or-, but it seems like he will be eating a ton of solids soon if I let him. I am worried he will wean early if I give him any more food, my mom (who nursed 4 out of 5 kids successfully, the youngest -me, until almost 3) says he wants to eat more solids and I should let him.
    Long time wannabe Momma. First time actual Momma.

-candice -

Default Re: my solids glutton

I always leaned toward letting my kids regulate their own intake. I think it's the healthiest way to go as long as what I'm offering them is healthy. At this point I don't think I'd worry much about solids replacing milk, since you are so close to him being a year old. He's not likely to stop nursing altogether, though he may nurse less, which is what is supposed to happen after a year. Perhaps eating more solids would reduce the burden of supplementing with donor milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Default Re: my solids glutton

I agree with you still.here. My 11.5 month old is finally up to 3 meals plus 2 snacks per day and is still nursing plenty!! She doesn't always eat a lot at each meal, but she sits down with me for breakfast (after we nurse when she wakes up) and will have some toast and/or fruit, and then usually I pack up whatever she doesn't eat and it's offered to her as a morning snack at daycare, then she has lunch, an afternoon snack and has dinner with me and my husband just before the bath/bed routine. So it's not a ton of food, but she's always ready to eat at least a little bit at all of those times. I think if your baby is looking at your lunch hungrily, it's a sign that he's ready for some lunch. I know the feeling of worrying that too much food=early weaning. I have had my own fears about that. But I think if you keep it within reason and offer breast milk frequently throughout the day, he will keep nursing a long time.