Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work

Default Back to work

I just returned to work and my baby had a hard time with bottle feeding. I am currently using Dr. Brown natural flow bottles and he those not like them. Those any one have any recommendation on a bottle that is more like the breast.

Default Re: Back to work

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ch33k1 View Post
    I just returned to work and my baby had a hard time with bottle feeding. I am currently using Dr. Brown natural flow bottles and he those not like them. Those any one have any recommendation on a bottle that is more like the breast.
    We've used Tommee Tippee with the slowest flow nipple since I returned to work last Oct when DD was 3 months. There was definitely an adjustment period but DH and our nanny got through it and that bottle / nipple has served us well. If you want to pump into TT bottles you need an adapter. It's not expensive, $6 or so for one side. But I just pump into Medela bottles since I store milk in Lanisoh bags at work. I'm not worried about losing a little milk here and there with the transferring but some might be.
    Last edited by @llli*debbers; May 8th, 2013 at 06:58 AM.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

We dealt with a few months of bottle refusal. The best advice I can give is be patient, persistent, and creative.

Bottle type is one thing you can experiment with. Some brands are designed to mimic the breast (like Tommee Tippee, Breastflow) and some women say that they are better for a breastfed baby. I've also read that it's a good idea to try to select a bottle with a nipple that looks anatomically close to you. Personally neither of those things made a difference for us - my baby rejected three types of bottles supposedly designed for BF babies, and ultimately accepted Born Free, and their nipples don't look like me OR mimic the breast, so who knows!

However there are other things you can experiment with in addition to bottle brand, such as the temperature of the milk (babies can very particular about that), how the baby is positioned for feeding, and timing of feedings. You can also have the caregiver wear a piece of your clothing (like a scarf you've slept on that has your scent), or nestle the bottle under their armpit with baby in a cradle hold, so that the experience mimics breastfeeding. Movement can be effective too (feeding baby while walking/rocking etc). Or try these things in combination.

My very wonderful daycare director told me "No baby will purposely starve himself" and she was right. He did reverse cycle for a few months, which was rough on me! But one day he just decided to eat from the bottle. And if he had never been willing to take a bottle, my daycare was willing to experiment with cup feeding (so that's an option too). I'm sure your LO will get it together -- mine did and he is definitely the most "determined" baby my daycare has had! Just stay optimistic and keep trying

My LO refused for a long time and still only takes an ounce or two when she is really hungry. I did find that she preferred the latex nipple that you can use with Playtex drop-ins. We also experimented with a sippy cup instead of a bottle. Might be an option depending on the age of your LO. Like mercystreet, my LO reverse cycled (and still is eating all night long). I'm glad she does this rather then drinking so much that I can't pump to keep up with her tho! Good luck!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

I went through the same thing -- NUK latex nipple worked for us! Like PP said, takes time and persistence. LO will eventually drink from the bottle (took about 2 weeks for us until she took bottles w/o fussing). Good luck!

Playtex drop ins have been our go-to bottle for expressed breastmilk at daycare. My son wasn't a fan of the Avent bottles I spent a ton of money on. He thankfully takes the silicone nipples on the Drop ins, but the laytex nipples are often appreciated by babies who are missing the feel of a real breast.

I agree with previous posters, however. You have to be creative and sometimes you have to invest a bit in quite a few different styles to find the bottle that pleases your child.

You can also consider spoon-feeding or dropper feeding if things get desperate.