Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need help ASAP! please

Unhappy Need help ASAP! please

Hello to all,
    So I'm a newly mom, my daughter is 9days she was born by C-Section, I was able to see her 4hrs after I gave birth but she was sleeping during the whole time I had her, later that night a dr came to me and told me that she had to be transferred to NICU because her white cells where to high so she had to be in observation, the next day i was told i needed blood transfusion so I couldn't see my baby that day, I was able to see her again until the 3rd day, I tried to breastfeed her when I got her but I was unable to, she just didn't want to take my breast, she got al fussy, cried hiterically and just didnt want it so I gave up and gave her the bottle at that moment because she was really hungry, i'v been trying to breastfeed her since then and she just doesnt want to take my breast, i pumped twice and only got a little less than 2onz.
    I really want to breastfeed her I know how good is to breastfeed but i just dont know what to do at this point, it gets me really sad and frustrated and I dont want to fall into a depression because of this, can someone help me please

Default Re: Need help ASAP! please

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

I am so sorry your entry into motherhood was so rough. But there's definitely still reason to think that you can get things back on track.

The first rule of breastfeeding is to feed the baby. If that means bottles and formula right now, that's okay. You do what you have to do!

It sounds like you've gone 9 days with no nursing and only 2 pumping attempts, is that right? If so, the 2 things you want to do right now are:
    1. Attempt to get the baby to latch on as often as possible, and
    2. Pump frequently to make up for the stimulation your baby isn't giving you.

Non-latching babies can be very difficult. The following link explains all the ways you can gently encourage a baby to nurse: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The instant reward and skin-to-skin techniques are supposed to be especially helpful. Hands-on help from a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, is also an excellent step to take at this point! Sometimes all it takes is better positioning. You also might want to try the shield- they can be good for babies who are used to bottles.

While you are hopefully getting nursing figured out, you want to work on building supply using the pump. I suggest getting a hospital-grade pump with correctly sized shields (the LC can help you with this) or at least a very good double electric pump (think Medela Pump in Style or Hygeia Enjoye). And you want to use it all the time. A newborn baby typically nurses at least 10-12 times a day, and that frequent and intense stimulation is what brings your milk in and builds your supply. Ideally, you'd pump 10-12 times a day while the baby isn't nursing, but don't feel like you absolutely must meet that ideal standard. Any pumping you do is good. Mre is better, but even if you only pumped a couple of times a day it would be better than nothing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Need help ASAP! please

Hi josanriv. Mommal has given you excellent suggestions.
    I want to address this:
    i pumped twice and only got a little less than 2onz.
    Please, please please please, do not let the amount you produce when you pump stop you from pumping. Normal pump output in the first week of life would be anywhere from NOTHING (yes, zero) to about 2 ounces at most. This is because in the early days, the first milk (colustrum) is very scant (there is not a lot of it) and it is very difficult to get out with a pump for many mothers. This is why hand expression is typically suggested for the first 2-4 days if baby is not latching. And you would get drops, just drops! This is normal-after abiout day 3, milk production increases, but it takes a little time! To pump even 1/2 or one ounce at 9 days old is very good. A normal 'meal' at the breast for a 9 day old baby would be about 1- 2 ounces.
    But even if you get less than that-don;t let that discourage you! you have to keep pumping. Pumping FREQUENTLY-8 or more times a day- (with maybe some hand expression as well) with a good pump is pretty much the only way to bring in a normal milk production if baby cannot nurse. It is still early days. You have time to turn this around.
    I also strongly suggest you see a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) if you can. An experienced one who will spend 90 minutes with you and baby, taking history, working on latch, and who will give you a personalized plan to get your milk production going and baby to the breast. We can give you support and lots of good info, but hands on help is very important at times.

feeding the non-latching baby http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...ching_baby.pdf

hand expression: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...expression.pdf

This is a nice comfy position you cab hang out in with baby. Adjust it as needed so you are comfortable. Try to be skin to skin or, if that is not comfortable for you, just make sure baby has 'easy quick access' to your breasts if baby starts to root or cue. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf