Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First day back to work, overfed 3 month old?

Default First day back to work, overfed 3 month old?

My first day back to work and my (exactly 3 months today ) baby girl was very gassy per caregiver most of the day. I was not sure what to provide for her so I followed the 1.5 ounces per hour away from nursling. I gave her 3, 3 oz bottles and she was dutifully given them. With me, she usually nurses every 2 -2 1/2 hours so I had her give the bottles every two hours. Now due to stress, I myself have been gassy , can that transfer to milk? Moreso my question is can I give her 3, 2 oz bottles with toppers? My baby girl is 9 lbs 12 ounces.

Default Re: First day back to work, overfed 3 month old?

Hi and welcome to the forum! OK, I think I need a definition of 'gassy'.
    What does your baby's care giver mean? Baby burped alot? passed gas alot? cried a lot? And are any of these things atypical enough with 3 month old infant left at day care for the first time that they worried you over it? Your baby was undoubtedly stressed being away from you. Separate baby from mom, it's stressful for both baby and mom. That's what the science indicates. This will get better over time for you both. Whether that led to gas for baby or not is anyones guess, but a gassy baby is nothing to be concerned about.

Do you think she was overfed at each feeding and that caused tummy upset? It makes sense, so smaller feedings may help.

You can also try sharing this info with your caregiver on cue feeding and 'paced' bottle feeding. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Default Re: First day back to work, overfed 3 month old?

"Gassy" is a really non-specific term, and you need to ask the caregiver exactly what she meant.

Foods that make adults gassy are not the ones that make babies gassy. Lots of moms avoid beans and cabbage and broccoli because it makes sense that those foods would come through mom's milk, right? Except that they don't. It's rare that a nursing mom needs to avoid any foods at all- with the exception of large quantities of alcohol.

You can definitely send smaller bottles! You might want to consider breaking your portions down a bit, sending one 2 oz bottle and a 1 oz "chaser" bottle. That way your caregiver will have to pause the feeding, in order to reach for the chaser bottle. If baby is being fed too quickly, and that's what's upsetting her tummy, paused/paced feedings may be really helpful.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"