Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help with 11W Growth Spurt

Default Help with 11W Growth Spurt

Hi everyone-
    I've been through the ringer with my now- 11Wer. Preemie born at 36W, traumatic C-section, separation for 12 hours at birth, a lactation consultant who didn't teach me how to pump thus creating low supply, a tube-fed baby in NICU for two weeks, formula supplementation, neonatal mastitis (as in, my baby had it, not me), an undiagnosed tongue tie (fortunately an IBCLC caught in even though two others had missed it), and most recently a shallow latch.

However, my baby has been on the breast!! since last Wednesday. We had been weaning off bottles of both formula and pumped breast milk. So she usually fed approximately every 2-3 hours. Until yesterday, in which she wanted to eat pretty much every hour, and didn't sleep like usual. She did stretch a four hour sleep at night, but then was nursing basically like two hours last night without stopping (from 2-4 a.m.), then another three hour stretch of sleep.

My gut tells me this is the 12W growth spurt- and to just keep nursing- she's having 6+ wet diapers a day, and several BMs. I weighed her this morning and she was up .5 ounces compared to yesterday (both times naked)..

But one of my friends said "it's just not possible for a baby to nurse 2 hours straight."

I guess I'm falling into the confidence trap- because we have a shallow latch, and we've fought through so much, I guess I'm hyper paranoid that my milk isn't enough. Does that make sense? I guess I just need a little commiseration and support that this won't last forever and that I am indeed doing the right thing.

Default Re: Help with 11W Growth Spurt

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Some questions for you:
    - How are you feeling? Healing from a c-section is no picnic!
    - What is baby's corrected age? I.e. number of weeks since birth - 4 weeks.
    - How does nursing feel? Is it painful at all?
    - Baby's poop- since you transitioned to nursing instead of bottle feeding, has there been any change in color/frequency/amount of poop?

It is definitely normal for babies to suddenly increase their feeding frequency and feeding duration, particularly during growth spurts. It is possible for a baby to nurse for 2 hours straight- ask me how I know! My one concern here is that it sounds like you only just transitioned from pumping and bottles to feeding at the breast, and that can be a delicate time when it comes to baby's ability to get her needs met. I think you doing just what you should be doing- nursing frequently, weighing baby frequently, watching diaper output. Are you using a really good baby scale, a professional scale, or just a bathroom scale? If it's a professional scale, there are some things you can do with it that might help you to figure out whether or not your baby is taking in enough milk.

I know that it's really hard to trust your body after such a rough start. But you're doing everything right!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

- How are you feeling? Healing from a c-section is no picnic! (Fine- actually for me the C-section was not bad at all, just totally unexpected. I was up and moving around as soon as I could post-surgery. Have had no recovery problems whatsoever).

- What is baby's corrected age? I.e. number of weeks since birth - 11weeks is her age- to the day, today.

- How does nursing feel? Is it painful at all? Slightly painful upon latch, but after a minute or so goes away. Have been working with IBCLC and Chiro to correct shallow latch. I usually re-latch her if it's painful.

- Baby's poop- since you transitioned to nursing instead of bottle feeding, has there been any change in color/frequency/amount of poop? Pretty steady in terms of poop- she was about 90% expressed breast milk, so her poop is pretty much the same. If anything, she's having more poops.

I think my gut is telling me that it is okay- I was just surprised about how much she wanted to nurse yesterday. I should mention am taking supplements, etc., to help with milk production as well as vasospasm which I had due to latch. Thanks for the support... Am going to watch her today and I guess call ped if it is still going on tomorrow?

You had a rough start but are sticking with it. I've most definitely had 2+ hour nursing sessions. My son has pulled all-nighters, too.

Okay, that all sounds pretty good! I'd just keep watching the diapers and roll with the nursing frequency. It's probably a growth spurt, as you said!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"