Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lipase and evaporation

Default Lipase and evaporation

I have excess lipase and have to scald my milk every night. I use a small sauce pan and heat the milk just until I see bubbles around the edges. I'm getting really frustrated because I'm losing anywhere from a half an ounce to a full ounce every time I scald. I know you guys all understand how difficult it is to pump enough for your little one to eat during the day. I can't afford to keep losing ounces every night. Any suggestions?
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: Lipase and evaporation

Oh no! That must be so frustrating! I imagine that seeing my precious breastmilk float into the air due to the laws of energy transfer would make me curse under my breath. Someday your little one will admire you and be grateful for the choices you've made to protect his health. But he might be 30 years old by then.
    i see from your signature that your LO is quickly approaching the one year mark. Are you certain the lipase excess is still a problem?
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Can you put a lid on the pot that you'd using to scald? That way there'd be less evaporation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

@Vegan- Good bought that lipase may not still be an issue. I'll try to pump a bit extra and see this week.
    @mammal - can't believe a lid hasn't occurred to me...duh!!! This is why I love this place. Support, encouragement and ideas! Thanks!!

Oh, also- what elevation are you at? If you're high up, your milk will scald at a lower temperature than if you're at a low elevation. So if you live at sea level or near to it, it's possible that your milk is getting hotter, and evaporating more, than if you were living higher up.

You might want to try a food thermometer- I think milk scalds at 82 degrees Celcius? If your milk reaches 82 degrees long before it is visibly scalding, you might be able to prevent some evaporative loss.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I am in Florida. elevation could definitely be an issue. I will look for a thermometer this weekend.

However, I'm am thrilled to say that the lid worked great! Almost no evaporation!! Makes me so sad to think of all those ounces wasted into space over the last several months. Unfortunately, my taste experiment revealed that I still have the lipase issue but at least I have control over what I pump now. Thanks mommal!! Only three months of pumping to go. I cannot wait to be done with this thing!!!

Oh, now I feel silly! Of course TAMPAmama lives in FL.

Glad the lid fixed the issue.