Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: DD3 is 15 months and nurses often through the night

Question DD3 is 15 months and nurses often through the night

DD3 is 15 months and is usually a very good baby. I don't have any problems right now, just some questions and my pediatrician isn't personally knowledgeable about extended breastfeeding.
    During the day unless she asks or isn't feeling well we don't usually nurse. But at bedtime, off and on through the night, and as we are waking up she nurses often. The bedtime and waking up routine I love and don't want to have a change anytime soon. But through the night, sometimes I feel like a pacifier because she will be latched but not nursing and won't let me go. So my question is will she start to cut back through the night on her own..?
    Second question a little off topic, DH and I are thinking about trying for our last baby, if I wean DD3 before is there are good chance of her regressing and wanting it back? Or if I try tandem, how in the world does it work with a newborn and a toddler nursing during the night... (I struggled through newborn nursing with DD3 and did not nurse DD1 and DD2, so picturing how DD3 and I nursed at the beginning it makes me feel like it will be VERY hard to do...)

TIA
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Default Re: DD3 is 15 months and nurses often through the night

Eventually your baby will cut back on the night-nursing. She's not going to be 7 years old and still nursing through the night, right?! The issue with self-weaning from night nursing is that it doesn't always happen in a timeframe that works for mom. If night-nursing is making you feel burned out, then you might want to consider taking a mother-led approach to night-weaning. It might help to start by offering to nurse more during the day- if your LO is making up for missed daytime nursing by staying latching on all night long, more daytime nursing could reduce her nighttime need.

There's no way to tell how your particular toddler would behave if a new sibling were in the picture. She might un-wean, she might not. Most kids don't un-wean unless it's only been a very short time since they last nursed. But you never know! Many, maybe even most (?) toddlers wean during pregnancy, often because the milk dries up and their interest in nursing does, too.

Nighttime nursing with a toddler and a newborn seems to be one of the more difficult challenges for a tandem-nursing mom. If you know that night-nursing a newborn is a big challenge for you, that might be another reason to encourage your toddler to wean sooner rather than later. But unless you feel driven to wean now, I don't see any reason why you should force the issue because of a baby that might be many months or maybe even years in the future.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'm stopping bc but not counting days or anything, just seeing what will happen when. Night nursing isn't a problem for me most of the time, sometimes it would be nice to lay on my belly but for the most part it's good. I'm just worried about when I do get pregnant, not sure if the struggles I had with my first three will revisit or if things will go smoothly.

How do you night wean while co-sleeping?

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

Night-weaning while co-sleeping is pretty much like night-weaning a crib-sleeping baby. Start with communication: "We're all going to bed. The sun is going down. Everyone will sleep all night long. (Insert your nursing word here) is going to sleep all night long. You can nurse again in the morning." During the night, keep a sippy cup with water available to your LO- sometimes a night-waking toddler is genuinely thirsty.

It may help for you to temporarily move out of the family bed, leaving your partner to deal with the night-waking, if that person is available. If you stay in bed with baby, make sure to choose a restrictive pajama top; babies usually give up on nursing more easily when they can't reach right in and grab hold of what they want!

Be persistent. A toddler who is really attached to night-nursing probably won't give up without some sort of a struggle. Be prepared to be tough if your LO throws a fit over being denied the breast- night-weaning usually proceeds faster if you don't sometimes give in and give the toddler the impression that she can get what she wants if she just tantrums hard enough.

In the morning, reinforce the lesson: "Good morning! You slept all night long, I slept all night long. Now the sun is up, so let's nurse!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you, I think we will start that soon, right now DH is working a full work week and he is picking up work else where, so for the most part taking care of the girls is on me, he helps on the weekends and evenings when he is home, but I try to leave him with the fun stuff. We are going to change our waking time soon and hopefully that will lead to an earlier bed time, I think I will work on that routine first. Gives us more time without fighting She is very stubborn.

I barely wake up if I do at all when she wants to nurse at night, we were so tired one night I forgot to switch sides, so as we went through the following day without nursing I became swollen and uncomfortable. As we've hit 15 months, I don't want to stop nursing (I really thought that I wanted to be done by a certain age, but I've found that I enjoy when we nurse, especially now that I can give her cups or snacks if I don't want to sit at that moment or need to get something done...)

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still