Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Mastitis

Default Mastitis

I think I have mastitis in my right breast. It is very sore, engorged, hot, and BFing is painful. There are red patches all over it. It's the middle of the night and I can't get to the doctor until tomorrow - my husband is in the hospital right now for a problem with his foot, and I have nobody to watch my baby. How can I treat mastitis at home until the morning? I can't sleep because of the pain.

Default Re: Mastitis

Oh I'm so sorry! Heat, nurse/pump, and rest. You can take ibuprofen (or Tylenol as a second choice) to help with the pain and inflamation. I found a hot bath was the mot comfortable for hand expressing to help empty the breast.
    Kelly mom link with full info:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/
    Hope you feel bettere soon!
    DS "milk monster" 2/7/13
    Abscess didn't stop us nursing!
    DH 6/26/10 is the best support

Default Re: Mastitis

Bring the baby into your bed and nurse nurse nurse nurse. Try to latch the baby/toddler on even if she's sleeping and then nurse as much as she will. Just stay in bed with baby nursing. Rest and nursing cleared my mastitis without going to the Dr.

I'm sorry that your husband is in hospital. Mastitis is a sign you are doing too much, and it always seems to hit at the stressful times. Try to slow down and rest as much as possible. And nurse.

Get well soon.