Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping less milk after long work Thursdays

Default Pumping less milk after long work Thursdays

Hola!
    I am a singing teacher. I work two short days at a school. I pump once while there. I notice lower production after my long day t work when I pump twice( 7 hours, thst turn to 10 when I add the commuting). My DD is 6 mo, and is on BM only. She takes 4 80-120 ml bottles. On FRidays I notice less milk flowing down. I use a manual Avent and an electric one. I could be happier with the electricone, but...prices are high of the Medelas here in BUenos Aires...
    I could start taking domperidone. I used it to wean DD of mixed lactation(she was premature)...but thought of maybe your ideas could be better than meds.
    See ya!!
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12

Default Re: Pumping less milk after long work Thursdays

Could you pump more during that long workday? 2 pumping sessions in 10 hours is probably not enough- your body is reading those long intervals in between sessions as a cue to reduce supply the next day. If you are commuting by car, it might be possible for you to pump in the car. You'd need a car adapter for the electric pump and a hands-free pumping bra.

Domperidone is an option, of course, but more pumping is almost always better for supply than any drug or herb.

The day after your long workday, are you at home with the baby or at work again? If you're at home, you can probably just rely on the baby to boost supply back up with frequent nursing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Pumping less milk after long work Thursdays

Hi there, mommal...I'll callyou Queenie
    Yes, the following day I work at home. During the morning I have time with my LO to frolick until 2 pm. That's when I have set times for my baby to nurse between classes, when a nanny takes of her... I have singin students, all of them girls that aren't uncomftarble with the fact that she'll nurse in class if she happens to need an extra session of nursing. And later I have to run to a late class. I'm away for 3 hours. I 'll try to pump the same day and that's when I notice the fall in production. I'll try to pump one more time on Thursdays. I have a female guitarist, also a LLL fan, who can collaborate in the class if I'm away a few minutes. I travel by bus, so that's that. No pumping possible there. I'll see if that helps! It's always nice to know that I'm not alone in this quest!!
    BYee
    Madre de Simona 24-10-12