Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breastfeeding Problems

Default Breastfeeding Problems

My son is 8 months old, my supply is fading fast! I am a working mom, I nurse him
    twice a day when possible and pump 3 times a day...on the weekends I nurse and try to not let him have a bottle. Any suggestions on bringing my supply back? Oh I also
    started my period again when he was 3 1/2 months old which is not helping my problem.

Default Re: Breastfeeding Problems

Hi mama, welcome to the forum!

So, the first solution to supply problems is to increase demand. Nurse more and/or pump more. Nursing twice a day outside work hours is low for an 8 month old. Most babies under a year old will be nursing at least 8 times/24 hours, often more than that (like 10-12 times). Is he getting formula as well? Does he nurse at night? Nighttime nursing can be really helpful in boosting supply in a working mom. Adding in extra pumping sessions, for example when driving to or from work, or in the evening before bed, can help boost supply as well.

My second thought is that you might have some areas around pumping that could use troubleshooting. Many mothers hit an 8 month "pump slump." Part of this can be due to the pump wearing down. What kind of pump are you using? Have you been using it the whole time? Have you changed out the replaceable parts? Have you noticed any decrease in suction/strength? How long are you pumping for and how frequently? Some mamas find that switching to a higher grade pump, for example renting a hospital grade pump, can help with their pumping output. Others find that buffing up the pump - changing the replaceable parts, or checking out the pump motor function (with the help of the pump maker) can help.

Third thought, any other changes? Could you be pregnant? Do you use hormonal contraceptives? Have you been using any new over-the-counter medications? Eating peppermint or sage?

Last thought, how much is your LO eating while you're at work? If baby is getting stuffed full while you're at work, that will decrease how much he wants to nurse when you are together. The rule of thumb is 1 - 1.5 ounces per hour apart. If he's getting more than that, you might want to think about gradually cutting back. Breastfed babies don't need more milk as they get older. They still just need a 3-4 ounce bottle every 2.5 or or 3 hours.

He is no longer requiring night time feedings... I nurse him around 5 or 6 am then
    again around 5pm or 6pm depending on the last feeding at daycare. He is in daycare from 7:30am - 5:00pm
    He goes to sleep around
    730pm or 800pm. He is not getting formula (yet) I am hoping to avoid that if I can.
    He gets 3 (4) oz bottles while at daycare, 1 every 3 hours.
    I have an Ameda purely yours pump, just last week I received a new pump as mine
    died. The suction has improved...still considering switching out the other parts.

I know longer feel a "let down" anymore at all.

I am going to try to add one more pump to my work day...so I would be pumping or
    nursing every 3 hours. I do also pump just before bed. I pump for at least 15 minutes usually 20 minutes each time.

I am not pregnant, however I did start my period when he was less than 4 months old and I have been struggling since, but this is by far the worst.
    Last edited by @llli*mmfaulkner79; April 15th, 2013 at 04:54 PM.

Hmmm, so he is eating a total of 5 times per day then? That is definitely on the low side! And he is going a very long stretch without nursing if I am understanding you correctly - from 5-6 pm to 5-6 am? I think an additional pumping session at work is a good idea and also a good idea to keep pumping before you go to bed - though you could also consider "dream feeding" him at that time - offering him the breast, he may not even fully wake, but that way you can get another feeding into him and give your breasts another nursing session to stimulate supply, which may be more effective than pumping. Also, what about nursing him right before bedtime?

Not feeling a let down does not necessarily signify anything; many mothers either never feel the let down or stop feeling it. I think the biggest issue is just not having enough total pumping/nursing sessions in the day.

The Purely Yours is not the most heavyweight of pumps, so that's good that you replaced it.

I'm experiencing the same thing. My DD was sleeping 12 hours straight through the night, and also was not wanting to nurse when I am home (I also work). My supply basically decreased to half of what it had been. I only usually get two pump breaks at work (I'm a nurse), so that wasn't helping things either. At work I use the hospital-grade Medela Symphony, so I know it wasn't a pump problem. I increased my herbs and have started to wake myself up at night to feed her (she still won't wake). She's back to nursing now but my supply still seems like it hasn't improved much based on how long she's nursing and my pump output. We are supplementing with formula :/ and I'm pumping each time we feed her a bottle, but still only getting drops at times. Also, the flow of my milk seems like it's slowed down considerably. I'm not sure what's going on but I'm just going to keep on keeping on. I'd love to hear other suggestions as well. Good luck to you!

Some helpful advice I received was to not go more than 8 hours (at night) without pumping or feeding or I may risk compromising my supply. My LO. sleeps from 7:30p to 6:30p so I pump around 11pm before I go to bed. I saw on here someone recommend a power pump weekend to pump after every feeding to increase supply. I thought that sounded like a great idea!

I started my period when my LO was around 4m. I thought she was having a growth spurt because she was constantly hungry, until my period started and I realized what was going on. In between ovulation and menstration, our blood calcium levels drop. I now take calcium (with zinc, magnesium, and vitamin D) during this time. My supply is back to normal! If I miss a pill or take one at a different time, I can tell in my supply and my LO's cries.

I hope this helps! Hang in there momma!
    Last edited by @llli*alo; April 16th, 2013 at 12:35 PM. Reason: mispelling

So how often would you suggest nursing on the weekend? I have been following the
    daycare schedule of every 3 hours..should I do every 2?
    He is finally sleeping through the night I hate to ruin that but want me supply to improve...can I have both

The more you nurse on the weekend, the better. If the baby wants to nurse every hour, or even every 45 minutes, view it as an opportunity. Don't let the daycare schedule rule your life- your job is to be a happy mom with a happy, healthy, thriving baby. Not to make life easier for the daycare workers by adhering to their program.

I wish that sleeping through the night and a great milk supply were a package deal. But for many moms, especially working moms, they're not. For a lot of moms, it's a baby who sleeps through the night OR a good milk supply. Not both. So unfair!

I am with the PP who suggested that the APY isn't a heavyweight pump. I think it's a good pump for a mom who doesn't have to rely too heavily on pumping- like a mom who is supplementing with formula or only working part-time. Moms who work full-time may do better with a pump like the Medela Pump in Style or Hyegeia Enjoye, or even a hospital-grade rental, for that extra level of stimulation and milk removal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My son almost never requested to nurse once he was old enough to sit up on his own, move around and be active. I would have to remind him to nurse every 2 hours else he would let it go until he was really hungry and cranky. I know this helped keep my supply up for pumping during the week because Monday was always my best pumping day.

Another way to fit an extra nursing session in is to do a dream feed before you go to bed. So even though he is sleeping by 8pm you can try picking him up and nursing him in his sleep around 10pm or so.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

great suggestions above. The rules of maintaining adequate milk production never change-more frequent milk removal=body makes more milk. This is why, generally speaking, cue feeding rather than scheduling keeps milk production in good shape.

But when a mom is pumping part of the day, probably on a schedule due to necessity, it can be harder to maintain adequate production. So sometimes gently encouraging baby to nurse more often whenever mom and baby are together is needed.

But there are other things to consider-is your pump working as it should? even new pumps can have problems. do your breast shells still fit correctly, could the motor be malfunctioning etc.

Does baby get a pacifier at night?

Also is your baby being fed at day care in a breastfeeding supportive way? Baby seems to take much more milk at day care than when home with you. Is baby also being fed solids at day care? I agree with above post-baby may not be hungry enough to nurse in a more typical pattern when at home due to being overstuffed at daycare. For one thing, it might help if your care provider held off on later feedings so your baby would want to nurse as soon as you get there. see
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf for more

Are solids being fed at home yet? Sometimes the desire to encourage baby to eat lots of solids can cause baby to fill up on the less nutritious solds and nurse less. During the many months of solid introduction, it can help to think of solids as 'complementary' to breastmilk. For fun and learning, not for nutrition.