Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Bringing milk to daycare

Default Bringing milk to daycare

Hello!

I am going back to work this Thursday and so we are starting daycare. I plan to send what I pump during the day to daycare for the next day's feedings. I'm trying to figure out what the easiest way to transport it there would be. When I get home after work can I put it in bottles in the refrigerator and just bring the prepared bottles or is it more sanitary to put them into freezer bags and bring those (even though I wouldn't be freezing it)?

What is everyone else doing?

Default Re: Bringing milk to daycare

I've done both, bottles and the freezer bags. The bottles are easier in that you can pump into the bottle and bring it the next day, so don't spend time pouring the milk into bags etc. I don't think it's more sanitary to put it into the freezer bags. But if you have any freezer stash, one way to keep it fresh is to freeze your milk on Friday (or whatever the last day of your work week is), then bring the oldest frozen milk in on Monday, then do fresh the rest of the week. I've also had times where I froze everything on arriving home each day, and periodically took in a large bunch of frozen bags in a cooler, which the daycare then kept in their freezer until it was used up. In your case, since you're planning to do fresh, it's fine to just bring it in the bottles. It's a good idea though to have about as much in the bottle as you want your LO to get with each feeding - perhaps 2-3 ounces. And you may also want to have 1 ounce "toppers" available in case LO is still hungry after that.

I don't think there's any sanitation advantage to putting the milk in freezer bags. That would just be an extra step for you. I think taking it in bottles would be fine, and that would cut out any extra steps. Check to see if your DC provider has a preference or system that they prefer to use. Ours had us bring the milk in one large bottle/jug (like the rubbermaid kind), and they prepared the bottles there out of that. I'm guessing this took up less refrigerator space. This was easy for us because we only had to bring the one bottle every day and the bottles for individual feedings were left on-site.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    But if you have any freezer stash, one way to keep it fresh is to freeze your milk on Friday (or whatever the last day of your work week is), then bring the oldest frozen milk in on Monday, then do fresh the rest of the week.
    Great idea!

Great - thank you everyone! And I love the idea about bringing the older milk on Monday!