Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Co Sleeping and Pinched Nerve?

Default Co Sleeping and Pinched Nerve?

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem....

I co sleep with my LO - she nurses on and off throughout the night and obviously is close to me throughout the night. As a result - I sleep on my side - with LO cuddled into me - my one arm at my head level coming down some to cradle her and the other arm around her most of the night.

The past few mornings I've found that I wake up with my hand (s) painfully asleep - to the point where movement is very limited in one hand. I'm not sure if I have something pinched or something else..? Frequently aching now through the day as well. I don't know how else I can position myself for sleep at this point - but wondering if anyone else has experienced anything like this - and if so - what you did to remedy it?

Any thought would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Life is Beautiful.

Default Re: Co Sleeping and Pinched Nerve?

Yep! Lol.... I would highly recommend a chiropractor who is knowledgeable in working with pregnant and breastfeeding mamas. That and epsom salt baths, and try if you don't already to switch sides during the night. Oh, and maybe a pillow between your knees. Hope that helps!
    Christina
    Proud First Time Mommy to Baby Joey, 12-13-12, via all-natural hospital Bradley Method, Hubby and Doula assisted Labor!
    Lactivist Babywearing International Member

can baby safely sleep in the other side of you? I switch my baby a couple times each night. When she was smaller and I did not want to put her between my husband and I, I would prop myself up on pillows so I could be in a leaning back position with baby on top of me when I had to get off my one side. I also slept for years with a little travel pillow between my knees...I think I will try that again!

I can't sleep without that pillow since pregnancy! Lol
    Christina
    Proud First Time Mommy to Baby Joey, 12-13-12, via all-natural hospital Bradley Method, Hubby and Doula assisted Labor!
    Lactivist Babywearing International Member

yes, this happens to me too if I sleep in nursing position. So I scoot down the bed after she nurses and just lie on my side face to face with her without a pillow. unfortunately when she wakes i am lately getting annoyed with scooting back up.

You might want to check out this link on de Quervain's tendonitis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Quervain_syndrome. It's a common cause of hand pain in new moms- so much so that it's actually nicknamed "Mom's thumb".
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I switch sides during the night a couple of times. I will try propping myself up with a couple pillows and having baby sleep on my tummy. A couple nights of that on and off may help. Oh, and I'm going to put a pillow between my knees too! All through my pregnancy I did . . I think what's happening is that I'm ending up in seriously strained positions to sleep so I can be sure LO is ok. Since I started co sleeping I am super stiff, and my neck is often really really sore. Hands falling asleep is new though - and is really bothersome ... wakes me up, which is why I thought I'd ask if anyone could relate and give advice. It's pretty funny laying in bed flapping my arms around *trying* not to wake baby . . . I end up having to get right up - often waking LO up.
    I'll check out that website also, thank you.
    Life is Beautiful.

Co-sleeping is definitely not as comfortable as sleeping on your own, I think. My hand was starting to fall asleep several months ago, so basically what I do is have DD a little lower in the bed, with her head right on the mattress instead of on my arm. I have enough room above her head to be able to sort of put my arms together and sleep comfortably on my side, if that makes sense. I can also keep one arm around her if I choose. I make sure that I wear long sleeves or a warm cardi over my pjs so that the covers only go up to my waist, and are therefore far enough away from her that I feel ok about it. I can also lay on my back in this position without moving or waking her.

Yeah, I have to find a way to sleep that stops this. I think something may be pinched as even during the day now - say if I'm putting on some makeup the one hand starts to get tingly. It's just been the past few days this has been going on - so I'm hoping it will disappear as mysteriously as it appeared! Had to get up this morning at 6am to wake up sleeping arm and woke LO up as well ... she wasn't too impressed! lol I got her smiling though, changed her - flapped my arms around like a monkey for a while then after about 20 minutes we went back to bed. It was kind of funny... frustrating too. Someone suggested my going to have a massage or accupuncture...? Any thoughts?
    Life is Beautiful.