Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How wet is wet enough?

Default How wet is wet enough?

Happy Saturday mamas! Quick question...my LO has been nursing less over the last 3-4 days for some reason. Teething maybe?? Anyhow, I know to watch output and I think I remember wanting to see 5-6 wet diapers in 24 hours. Is that right? Also, how wet is wet enough? We use pampers swaddlers (with the blue stripe indicator). Any ideas how to know what is wet enough. It's been a few days of less nursing and less wet diapers so I'd like to figure out soon if I need to worry. TIA!!
    mom to four energetic kids ages 6,7,8 and our newest arrival born 8/14/2012

Default Re: How wet is wet enough?

Kellymom.com says:

"WET DIAPERS: 4 – 5+ sopping wet diapers per day.
    To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 4-6 tablespoons (60-90 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Diapers may be wetter in the morning, especially with older babies. Urine should be pale and mild smelling.
    DIRTY DIAPERS: Depends on your child.
    Number ranges from many per day to one every 7 – 10+ days. After 4 – 6 weeks, some babies switch to an infrequent stooling pattern. This is normal as long as baby is gaining well, and stools are soft and profuse if several days have passed. More on infant stooling."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is what they say. However, I have always thought 'sopping wet" is very open to interpretation. Also it depends on the baby's age. This is from the kellymom article about making sure an ‘older baby’ is getting enough. -but she mentions it is info for any baby over 6 weeks old! Well, in my experience, the diapers of a 2 month old and those of an 8 month old are going to differ substantially.

Sorry this is probably not helpful. I guess I am saying that if I had a question about if my baby was getting enough milk, I would worry less about exact feel of diapers and think more about why I was even concerned about it. Is baby sick? Out a lot in very hot weather? Nursing way, way less for some reason? There are many other signs of dehydration http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/chi...es/dehydration and these will be evident to a reasonably alert momma long before there is any danger. So I wonder if there is much need for worrying about diaper counts past the early weeks, barring some unusual circumstance. Presumably a healthy baby will nurse if thirsty, as long as baby has access?

My 9 month old has had 3 yes only 3 diaper changes since we woke up 12 hours ago. That includes getting her out of her nighttime diaper. Unless she surprises us with another poop, (she did one this morning and she only poops about once a week) we will change her one more time, at bed time which is eminent. So that is a total of four. Except for the nighttime diaper, none were ‘soaking wet.” Now, this is probably one or two changes less than usual because we were out all day and changing her would have been so inconvenient. But it is also super hot here and we were in the heat and sun for hours. So I should be worried…right? But I am not. I WAS slightly worried when we got home, not because of diapers but because it was hot, we were in the sun for a long time, she had not nursed well all day (distracted) and she felt hot to me. Her skin felt hot. So I lay down and nursed her immediately when we got home and we both fell asleep. (Hence no homecoming diaper change.) We cloth diaper, but I used disposables with my older two and if anything the diapers were less likely to feel ‘soaking’ imo.

Thanks for both replies. I thought LO was "off" this week. Definitely nursing less. I think it must be teething which I thought was supposed to make babies nursed more?!?!? Today was the worst. I offered plenty but couldn't get her to really eat and tonight she was super fussy. Even wearing her didn't make her happy. Hmmmm... Have her some tylenol and she's sleep nursing now. Guess I just keep an eye on things for a day or so more. Still has moist mouth and producing years so....so sad when she feels bad.

Tears, not years : )

lots of babies nurse more when teething, but some it worsens their pain. good plan to just keep an eye on things!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.