Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Condensation or milk?

Default Condensation or milk?

I have read some past threads about milk and or condensation in the tubing, where they will either clean it thoroughly bc there is milk in the tubing or just run the pump to get out the condensation. how do you know if its just condensation and just needs to be aired out vs. milk that must be cleaned and sanitized? I have a PISA by the way. Thanks!
    And why the heck is it getting condensation in there. With my last LO I used the old PIS ( circa 2003) and never got condensation and I just bought a new PIS advanced and I get condensation every time! Grrrr!

Default Re: Condensation or milk?

no idea myself, but that's the main reason i don't like medela.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*littleman721 View Post
    I have read some past threads about milk and or condensation in the tubing, where they will either clean it thoroughly bc there is milk in the tubing or just run the pump to get out the condensation. how do you know if its just condensation and just needs to be aired out vs. milk that must be cleaned and sanitized? I have a PISA by the way. Thanks!
    And why the heck is it getting condensation in there. With my last LO I used the old PIS ( circa 2003) and never got condensation and I just bought a new PIS advanced and I get condensation every time! Grrrr!
    i get condensation from washing or steaming the pump parts and then connecting the tubing when the pump hasn't completely dried. pretty common for me because i'm pumping several times a day at my office or that of my client and i can't lay everything out to dry. i honestly haven't worried about it. but i prob should run the pump each weekend and try to dry out the tubing.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*debbers View Post
    i get condensation from washing or steaming the pump parts and then connecting the tubing when the pump hasn't completely dried. pretty common for me because i'm pumping several times a day at my office or that of my client and i can't lay everything out to dry. i honestly haven't worried about it. but i prob should run the pump each weekend and try to dry out the tubing.
    I usually let the pump run for a couple minutes while I detach the bottles and screw caps on. It has taken care of the condensation for me!

There is condensation with each use.. When you get milk backing up (usually caused by the membranes sticking), it's loud and slurpy and very obviously milk.

That said, milk particles do get into the tubing with normal use. My tubes mildew within 3mo despite being pumped dry after each use. And the pump diaphragm also grows mold (behind the faceplate). I try to wash and steam them every month (and always after any milk back ups), but they still get visible black spots after about 3mo, so I replace at that point.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)