Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about breastshield size

Default Question about breastshield size

I need to order extra parts for my pumps and noticed that the breastshields come in different sizes. So far, I've been okay with the standard medium, but my nipples are small and I wonder if I should get small breastshields? I've only found info on problems that occur when shields are too small, so not sure whether there's a problem with them being too large. Is it possible I could get better milk production with smaller shields? Currently, my production seems pretty normal - I think - (about 4 oz per 10-15 minute morning pump session), but I'm so nervous about not having enough for my baby when I go back to work and want to produce as much as possible.

So, would a too large breastshield inhibit production? How would I even know if my breastshield is too large? If it helps, I use a nipple shield during feedings and was given the size extra small (16mm) by the LC. So I DO have small nipples.

Default Re: Question about breastshield size

Well, I can say that using a too large flange when I first started pumping yielded me about 1 oz. less when pumping, but more pressingly, it just began to really hurt after a few days. And when you are pumping frequently, you do not want it to hurt! If you think you need the smaller size, I would go for it. I knew I needed a smaller size because too much of my actual breast was being sucked into the tube. You can also get fitted for shields by an LC if you need guidance!

As your breasts change you may react differently to different sizes, too. It would be a good idea to have a couple different sizes on hand in case things change. For me, I had one breast that prefered the medium size and one that prefered the large, so I had to use two different sizes for every day pumping.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

I bought the pumpin pals set so I have 3 sizes to choose from. Ordered off amazon. They're compatible with Medela pumps and other popular brands.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Thank you! I ended up ordering a 21mm from Medela AND the pumpin pals since I need several flanges for work anyway and thought I'd try them. Thanks for the suggestions!