Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weird frenulum problem?

Default Weird frenulum problem?

Hello!

Smooth sailing for the past little while Have never paid any attention to baby's frenulum except to have several people check her for a tongue-tie after birth (she didn't have one).

In the past few days, when baby cries and I can see under her tongue, it's like there's this huge whitish lump all around the frenulum. I'm wondering what it could be and if it's hurting her. It's really quite large, maybe the size of a kidney bean but not so long.

Any insight? I've never heard of a ... um ... frenulum infection?!

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Weird frenulum problem?

I would take her in to the pediatrician. The lingual salivary gland is right under the tongue, and salivary glands can get blocked or become infected.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Weird frenulum problem?

Thanks mommal. I was at my naturopath today anyway so asked her to have a look at baby's frenulum, and she says it's likely an enlarged salivary gland, but she needs to look into it more before recommending anything to do or not do (it may just go away on its own I suppose). But I'll keep an eye on whether it seems to cause her any pain. Thanks again!