Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Needing lots of advice!! VERY LONG POST

Default Re: Needing lots of advice!! VERY LONG POST

I only asked about the drugs to make sure you weren't on magnesium sulfate- there are anecdotal reports of mag sulf causing issues with supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I wasn't on Magnesium Sulfate as far as I know. And the only reason I feel the fentanyl might have affected anything is because they gave it to me in an IV at 6 cm and a half hour later it hadn't done anything so they gave it to me again in an epidural and I was already 9 cm and I only pushed for a half hour so it affected both me and baby for a long time after he was born. He slept for the first 24 hours and like I said earlier I tried to nurse him later in the 24 hours but no one stressed the importance of at least trying. They didn't tell me to start pumping until he was over a day old and hadn't had anything but a few drops of colostrum that I basically forced into his mouth while he was still sleeping. He was also jaundiced for a while and slept for basically the first week and wouldn't even attempt to nurse even when I started trying to wake him every two hours. Could that still be affecting my low supply at 4 weeks??

Hi mama, the breast supply and demand equation is very dynamic. So yes, I agree, it did not help that baby was sleepy at the beginning and also that the nurses weren't telling you to wake baby up to nurse (the nurses in the hospital I delivered at were on my back if I went a minute over three hours!). But if that was the only thing that happened and after 24 hours baby latched on great and you were nursing round the clock, by this point your supply would be fine. So I wouldn't blame yourself for having fentanyl for the current situation, you know? Also fentanyl is really short-acting. Fentanyl or not most babies are sleepy the first 24 hours. After all they've just gone through the tremendous stress of being born! That's why it's important for the nurses, doctors, lactation consultants etc. to make sure you are getting off on the right track by telling you to nurse every couple hours, teaching you techniques to wake a sleeping baby to nurse, etc. But that's water on the bridge at this point, but good to know for next time, right? And you can still get to where you need to go despite not getting the best advice at the beginning.

Also, magnesium sulfate is for pre-eclampsia. So if no one told you that you had that, you probably weren't on it.