Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: cluster feeding at night

Default cluster feeding at night

My 8 week old has started sleeping through the night (well for approx. 5 1/2 hours) but before going to sleep, she cluster feeds every 30-45 minutes for 15 minutes each time. After waking in the morning she eats for 30-45 minutss. My only concern is that she is eating every 4-4 1/2 hours during the day. She is still gaining weight well according to her doctor and I know she is very efficient because I frequently weigh her after feeding her, she eats approximately 3.5 to 4 ounces at each feeding and she is still having normal bowel movements and wetting the appropriate number of diapers.

Is there any reason to be concerned?

Thanks!!

Default Re: cluster feeding at night

Hi mama, if weight gain, wets and dirties are all okay, then it sounds like everything is going well. She may be on the low side though of total number of feeds per 24 hours, though - it's pretty unusual for a breastfed baby of any age to only eat every 4 - 4 1/2 hours, especially one this young. Every 2-3 hours or even more frequently would be more typical. However, of course all babies are not the same. One suggestion is to keep doing everything you are doing but just offer more frequently during the day. The cluster feeding in the night and the long feeding in the morning are not a problem - in fact that is probably what is letting her give you that 5 1/2 hour stretch at night!

Default Re: cluster feeding at night

with the excellent advice from the PP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"