Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not nursing after a break while i took antibiotic

Default Baby not nursing after a break while i took antibiotic

My 16 month old baby was an excellent nursling, on demand, during day almost every hour, and at night 2-3 times. I got a really bad infection and had to take antibiotics. With a very heavy heart, I had to stop breastfeeding and start pumping. First three days it was horrible for both of us, but on 4th night he fell asleep with no problems and slept through the night! First time in a long time! Anyways, for 11 days I couldn't breastfeed. When I finally started, he was screaming, arching his back the minute he saw the nipple. He liked to lean or sleep on my breast though... I have been doing all the advice that's provided for nursing strike. He still says "no"; although sometimes he pulls up my shirt. Today is day 8 of offering my breast. My heart is breaking and I have shed too many tears over this whole situation (and I'm not a "cryer"), but I'm getting tired of pumping (takes an hour for me to drain both breasts, about 4-5 times per day), ... He loves my milk and drinks it through a straw... Should I continue offering breast, or he is weaned??? I really wanted to breastfeed to his 2nd birthday... Appreciate all your support and advice.
    Last edited by @llli*lovingmama; May 6th, 2013 at 07:42 AM.

Default Re: Baby not nursing after a break while i took antibiotic

I am so sorry that a break turned into abrupt weaning. That just sounds rotten.

What you do about offering at this point is really up to you. You never know what may happen if you keep on patiently, playfully offering- one day your toddler may decide to take you up on it. There's no time limit on this sort of thing- it's all about what you feel emotionally and physically capable of doing. And I know it's not easy to pump while taking care of a busy toddler, and also not easy to keep getting turned down. So if you decide that this is where nursing end for you, don't feel bad about it.

One thing I feel compelled to add, mostly for other moms who may see this post, is that nursing is compatible with most antibiotics (e.g. penicillin and its derivatives, cephalosporin and its derivatives, etc.). If you're ever prescribed an antibiotic and are in doubt about its safety, call the Infant Risk Center: Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time, (806)-352-2519.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for responding. I was prescribed Cipro, its in the class of "fluoroquinoles." And Cipro enters breastmilk. Doctor informed me it's ok to breastfeed, but I was scared... Being a nurse myself, I know it's good and bad effects of the antibiotics... Again, thanks for support. I guess, I will continue offering for a little while. The good thing is, my toddler has a very hearty appetite for all the solids.

If your toddler loves his solids, how about offering some of his less favored foods for a while? If all I was getting was, IDK, asparagus and spinach, maybe I'd have a little more interest in mom's milk!

I really didn't mean to make you feel bad about the Cipro- I just didn't want some other mom to come across this post and say "OMG, I have to wean because I'm taking an antibiotic!"
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"