Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lipase? I'm crushed :(

Default Lipase? I'm crushed :(

So I've been struggling for a while to get baby to drink more milk while I'm at work. Today after noticing she only drank 5 oz (in 11 hours!), I tasted my remaining thawed milk in the fridge and it was SOAPY! When I tasted for lipase before it was always my freshly pumped milk so I didn't think I had this issue. What I don't get is that after googling this, many moms complain of 'rancid' 'metallic' or 'sour' tasting milk -- which my milk is not. It has a faint soap smell and tastes like milk that has a bit of handsoap mixed in -- does that make sense? Definitely not 'off' but not pleasant. When I heated it in the bottle warmer, it was more palatable but still soapy.

Is this lipase?

Baby drank milk fine till about 7 or 8 month mark -- do you think this symptom suddenly came at some point or baby's taste buds just developed?

I will try scalding my milk (will have to do this when I get home) and see if that works. I'm utterly crushed. Baby's weight is great (75% percentile) so I guess I shouldn't fret too much. I just think of ALL that milk in the freezer and my heart sinks

Default Re: Lipase? I'm crushed :(

yeah, that's lipase it can come & go, unfortunately!

since baby is drinking some of it, my guess is you'll be able to mix the frozen half & half with fresh and she'll take the rest ok.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you Auderey

Baby is almost 10-months so I probably don't need a large freezer stash anyway. I was hoping to pump wean at a year and have caregivers use up the freezer stash for day time feeds. Now I guess we'll just give her cow's milk after she turns a year and I'll nurse night and weekends? Bummer. It's still so upsetting this happened.

Sorry about the lipase mama. When you reach a year, if you're nursing 3-5 times/24 hours, you don't need to give additional cow's milk (although you can, of course); baby can drink water during the day. If you're nursing less than 3-5 times per day, then you can do cow's milk (or other dairy, like yogurt or cheese) during the day, and nurse at night and on weekends. When my son turned one I was working crazy hours so I was nursing only 1 or 2 times a day (and sometimes none), so that's what I did at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bluesea View Post
    Thank you Auderey

Baby is almost 10-months so I probably don't need a large freezer stash anyway. I was hoping to pump wean at a year and have caregivers use up the freezer stash for day time feeds. Now I guess we'll just give her cow's milk after she turns a year and I'll nurse night and weekends? Bummer. It's still so upsetting this happened.
    i hear you!!

you can always try the mixed milk and see if she takes it ... otherwise i htink other mamas have cooked with it, like for teething biscuits?
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Yes I was going to try some oatmeal with the soapy milk :P maybe a sprinkle of brown sugar will mask the flavor of ivory soap!

Thank you for the info on dairy after a year -- I should be nursing at least 3x/day so happy to hear she can just eat cheese n yogurt!

Thanks also for the sympathy! Most people just don't get how devastating this is!! Thank you.

I can relate, but I found out about this when my 10 month old was 11 weeks old...and I was going back to work in 2 days, rendering my freezer stash unusable. Mine tasted RANCID so I was really put off.

Fortunately, flash heating the milk turned out to not be as inconvenient as I fretted it to be. I did this every night after work with my pumped milk and it worked out just fine.

This is interesting. I have had the same trouble with my milk, off and on. DS is 10 1/2 mo. I had been scalding the milk immediately after pumping, letting it cool in the fridge for a bit and then freezing in glass. How long does the milk have to cool after scalding it? I would like to have a freezer stash with which to feed him after weaning (hopefully) at a year, but it seems like anything I pump gets a nasty taste.

ambrosegirl -- I read best way to cool the milk is in a ice bath. I did this last Friday and it cooled pretty quickly 15 mins or so. I think in the frigde, go by feel, should be cool before you cap it and put in the fridge. If you're taking DHA supplements, that could also be causing your milk to get that taste (i've read this from other mommies).

Thanks Audykat for the encouragement. After my first time scalding last week, I realized not soo bad. Just an extra step

ambrosegirl - After a lot of research, I learned the reasoning behind cooling before freezing is if you're putting hot milk (or hot food) next to frozen food, you run the risk of the frozen food defrosting, then refreezing which could ruin the food.

I designated a spot in the freezer and the fridge that didn't touch other foods, and never had any issues with skipping the "ice bath" and cool down step. Saves some dishes/ice/time, which is great when you're already on a time crunch!